Disability Sport and Rehabilitation
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jennifer Cooney
This module gives students an insight into two important specialist areas of Sport Science - Injury Rehabilitation and Disability Sport. This module is taught by applied experts in the field and students will be given the opportunity to gain an insight into and knowledge of injury rehabilitation from a chartered physiotherapists perspective and gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the role of sport in disability and how to plan and implement an inclusive sport session.
This module is broken up into two distinct components - Injury Rehabilitation and Disability Sport:
The module starts with the rehabilitation component delivered by a chartered physiotherapist. The seminars will include: Introduction to physiotherapy and overview of profession Principles of rehabilitation and clinical models of rehabilitation Rehabilitation of upper and lower limb injuries and conditions Rehabilitation of spinal injuries and conditions Challenges of managing injuries and conditions in athletes with disabilities
The second half of the module is delivered by a Disability Sport Wales Officer who has a wealth of experience working in this field. In this half of the module you will cover: Disability Awareness and an opportunity to obtain a certificate in Inclusive Coaching (UK Sport) Disability classification and lesson planning Running a practical session Visual Impairment Training
Please note: Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be second week of July 2021).
Students will demonstrate a basic knowledge of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation, and an ability to discuss issues. The answers may be lacking critical discussion. There may be minimal or poorly chosen references to support discussion.
C- i C+
Students will demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation. The answers will demonstrate some critical thought and discussion will be supported by some references to recent, relevant literature.
Students will demonstrate excellent knowledge and a clear understanding of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation. The answers will demonstrate excellent critical thought and discussion will be supported by thorough references to recent, relevant literature.
Demonstrate an understanding of rehabilitation principles for selected injuries to the lower limb, upper limb and spinal regions of the human body
Demonstrate an understanding and the application of the medical, the bio-psycho-social and rehabilitation models
Demonstrate an understanding of the issues relating to sport and disability
Plan and adapt a suitable inclusive sports session for a disabled person
Formulate a rehabilitation plan with appropriate goals and outcome measures.
Demonstrate an understanding of how to interact with and include disabled sportspeople
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2-Disability & Sport||
You will write a critical essay on disability sport (target 1,500 words). In addition to drawing upon published information, your experience in planning and delivering an inclusive lesson plan will also be relevant.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1-Rehab Case Study||
You will present a case study (target 1500 words, equivalent to an effort of approximately 15 hours) that discusses a rehabilitation plan appropriate to your client’s needs and relevant to your client’s sport. For this assignment you will be able to choose one of three case studies.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Weeks 7 and 9 are practical workshops; attendance during week 7 will result in earning a certificate in “Inclusive Coaching: Disability” from Sports Coach UK. Week 10 consists of Visual Impairment Awareness Training in collaboration with the North Wales Society for the Blind, Bangor.
Reading time, preparing and completing assessments, pursuing opportunities to volunteer with local disability sport clubs.
Lecture time will consist of a combination of discussion and explanation of concepts, small group discussions and activities, interaction with visiting speakers involved with rehabilitation and disability, and formative assessment feedback opportunities.This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials and workshops. For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
- develop effective learning aids
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Readings are available from the University library.
Fitzgerald, H. (2012) Inclusive Coaching: Disability. Leeds: sports coach UK.
Barnes, M. P. (2005). Oxford handbook of rehabilitation medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Chapter 1, "Concepts of Rehabilitation", gives an overview of the disability and rehabilitation models. Other chapters may be helpful as well.
Additional reading will be provided on Blackboard.
Additional Learning Resources and Information All module material will be available to view through Blackboard on the following link:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 3 (BSC/SHES)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 3 (MSCI/SHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 4 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 4 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 3 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 3 (BSC/ASS)
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 3 (BSC/SEXP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 3 (BSC/SHPE)
- C615: BSc Sport Science (Outdoor Recreation) year 3 (BSC/SOAC)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPS)
- C603: BSc Sports Science - intercalated year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPSF)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 3 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/SSIE)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 3 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/SSMP)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 3 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/ASS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 3 (MSCI/SSOA)