Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jonathan Moore
This module is intended to: 1) provide postgraduate learners with the opportunity to develop their understanding of principles and applications of physiology and training science to sport-related performance; 2) develop higher level subject specific and transferable skills; 3) prepare postgraduate students to meet the requirements of research, or employment outside of an academic / research environment.
During the module, you will develop existing knowledge and understanding in a range of physiology & training science topics including:
- Exercise fatigue
- The role of hormones, recovery and sleep
- Preparation for endurance sports - heart and circulatory adaptation in enduranceathletes, altitude and hypoxic training, heat acclimation/acclimatization
- The training process - needs analysis,periodization and programming
Important: Students who fail the module (overall module mark less than 50%) or miss module assessments, will be required to undertake a resit (mark capped at 50%) or first-sit assignment.
Evidence of basic knowledge and understanding of the principles and application of physiology to sports training and performance, critical analysis of available evidence; and, the ability to identify gaps or controversies in evdence. Most criteria are meet to an adequate standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components
Evidence of good knowledge and understanding of the principles and application of physiology to sports training and performance, critical analysis of available evidence; and, the ability to identify gaps or controversies in evdence. Most criteria are meet to a good standard; some may be met to a very good standard
Evidence of deep knowledge and understanding of the principles and application of physiology to sports training and performance; critical analysis of available evidence; and, the ability to identify gaps or controversies in evdence. Some criteria are meet to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of exercise fatigue, the role of hormones, recovery and sleep and apply this knowledge and understanding to performance sports
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of approaches to training used to prepare athletes for competition an apply this to provide an effective briefing.
Demonstrate scholarly ability to identify relevant scientific information, critically analyze existing knowledge, and to identify gaps or controversies
|Critique of a topic from semester one||50.00|
|Presentation for performance director||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Combination of lecture, seminar and tutorials. Learners work through the concepts with guidance from academic staff. Seminar activities will include open discussions or work on tasks in smaller groups in online breakout rooms. Learning relies on independent study skills and full enagement with online and other learning activities assigned by the tutor.
Directed and self-directed learning (e.g., previewing and reviewing lecturer recorded content, reading articles, working with fellow students on learning activities, preparing for assignments, watching other video resources).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-4007.html
Textbook of work physiology: physiological bases of exercise - Åstrand, Per-Olof, Exercise physiology: Human Bioenergetics and its Applications - George A. Brooks Physiological bases of human performance during work and exercise - Taylor, Nigel A. S., Groeller, Herbert ACSM's advanced exercise physiology - Farrell, Peter A., Joyner, Michael J., Caiozzo, Vincent J., The physiology of training - Whyte, Gregory P.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C6AC: MRes Sport and Exercise Physiology year 1 (MRES/SPEPH)
- C6AE: MRes Sport and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MRES/SPES)
- B6AL: MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology year 1 (MSC/SPEXPHYS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C603: BSc Sports Science - intercalated year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- B6AF: MSc Applied Sports Science year 1 (MSC/ASPS)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/SSIE)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 4 (MSCI/SSOA)