Psych of Injury & Rehab
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ross Wadey
The aim of this module is to enable students to:
- Develop a breadth and depth of knowledge and critical understanding of the models guiding inquiry into the prediction of sport injury from a psychosocial perspective;
- Develop an understanding of the theoretical perspectives of sports injury rehabilitation from a psychological standpoint
- Be able to critically assess the research relating to the psychological responses of athletes to sports injury
- Be able to critically assess the role of psychological factors in sports injury rehabilitation
- Gain a critical understanding of the developmental processes following sport injury (e.g., post-traumatic growth), as well as other related factors (e.g., career-transitions and termination)
- Develop a sound understanding of the application of psychological interventions, within a rehabilitation setting
- Understand the journey of return to competition, and the reasons behind the failure of some athletes to rehabilitate
- Have a sound knowledge of current trends in the psychology of injury rehabilitation and future research directions.
Prediction of sport injury from a psychosocial perspective: Models, research, and practice
Psychological responses to sport injury: Stress, emotion, resilience and thriving
Measurement issues in psychological response to sports injury research;
Psychological interventions in sports injury rehabilitation.
Psychological intervention strategies: Case Studies
Demonstrates at least a good level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria, and an excellent level of understanding in relation to some assessment criteria.
Demonstrates a good level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria (with the 50% pass mark at M level this level of attainment reflects a threshold level of attainment)
Demonstrates an excellent level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria
Understand and critically evaluate the psychological factors that affect athletes’ risk of and response to sports injury
Critically discuss the role that intervention strategies can play in facilitating athletes’ rehabilitation and expediting their successful return to competitive sport;
Understanding of the developmental processes following sport injury (e.g., post-traumatic growth), as well as other related factors (e.g., career-transitions and termination).
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
4 x 4 hour sessions
A mixture of sessions that include aspects of lecturing, practicals and question and answering.
For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en”.
This module itself will take a blended learning approach this year that will consist of live online lectures and workbook tasks accompanied by preparatory tasks to be completed during private study.
reading papers, making notes, assignment preparation
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C6AE: MRes Sport and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MRES/SPES)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- C603: BSc Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- C6AD: MRes Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (MRES/SPEPS)
- B6AF: MSc Applied Sports Science year 1 (MSC/ASPS)
- B6AP: MSc Exercise Rehabilitation year 1 (MSC/EXREHAB)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 4 (MSCI/SSOA)