Psychology of Injury and Rehab
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ross Wadey
The aim of this module is to enable students to:
- Develop a breadth and depth of knowledge and critical understanding of the models guiding inquiry into the prediction of sport injury from a psychosocial perspective;
- Develop an understanding of the theoretical perspectives of sports injury rehabilitation from a psychological standpoint
- Be able to critically assess the research relating to the psychological responses of athletes to sports injury
- Be able to critically assess the role of psychological factors in sports injury rehabilitation
- Gain a critical understanding of the developmental processes following sport injury (e.g., post-traumatic growth), as well as other related factors (e.g., career-transitions and termination)
- Develop a sound understanding of the application of psychological interventions, within a rehabilitation setting
- Understand the journey of return to competition, and the reasons behind the failure of some athletes to rehabilitate
- Have a sound knowledge of current trends in the psychology of injury rehabilitation and future research directions.
Content may vary but generally covers:
Prediction of sport injury from a psychosocial perspective: Models, research, and practice
Psychological responses to sport injury: Stress, emotion, resilience and thriving
Measurement issues in psychological response to sports injury research;
Psychological interventions in sports injury rehabilitation.
Psychological intervention strategies: Case Studies
Demonstrates at least a good level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria, and an excellent level of understanding in relation to some assessment criteria.
Demonstrates a good level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria (with the 50% pass mark at M level this level of attainment reflects a threshold level of attainment)
Demonstrates an excellent level of understanding in relation to assignment criteria
Understand and critically evaluate the psychological factors that affect athletes’ risk of and response to sports injury
Critically discuss the role that intervention strategies can play in facilitating athletes’ rehabilitation and expediting their successful return to competitive sport;
Understanding of the developmental processes following sport injury (e.g., post-traumatic growth), as well as other related factors (e.g., career-transitions and termination).
This asignment will present you with one of two options to select from and you will then critically analyse injury-related scientific interventions that relate to your chosen option
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
4 x 4 hour sessions
A mixture of sessions that include aspects of lecturing, practicals and question and answering.
This private time should be used for independently reading papers, making notes, and assignment preparation
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C6AE: MRes Sport and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MRES/SPES)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- C603: BSc Sports Science - intercalated year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- C6AD: MRes Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (MRES/SPEPS)
- B6AF: MSc Applied Sports Science year 1 (MSC/ASPS)
- B6AP: MSc Exercise Rehabilitation year 1 (MSC/EXREHAB)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 4 (MSCI/SSOA)