Understanding the Middle Ages
Rhedir gan College of Arts, Humanities and Business
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Sue Niebrzydowski
Generate or extend insights into a broad range of subject areas relevant to the study of the Middle Ages (e.g. archaeology, political, cultural and social history, literature, music, theology and liturgy)
Generate or extend knowledge of research methodologies appropriate to individual medievalist disciplines.
Enhance the level of methodological reflection and critical scholarship.
Enhance study and research skills related to the study of the Middle Ages (e.g. use of literature, IT resources, primary source material).
Enhance oral presentation skills as appropriate at a postgraduate level.
Students who enter the MA programme will have obtained some familiarity with the Middle Ages from the perspective of one particular discipline. The course is designed to introduce students to the breadth of subject areas and methodologies subsumed under the umbrella of medieval studies as broadly understood. Scholars from Bangor will lead thematic sessions on individual aspects (such as archaeology, history, literature, liturgy, music) and advanced skills pivotal to medievalist research (specialised reference sources and databases). Additionally, students will encounter cutting-edge research presented by scholars from Bangor and beyond in the research seminar series offered by individual Schools and Research Centres within the College of Arts, Humanities and Business. These sessions on 'Understanding the Middle Ages' will vary year on year, depending on the availability of staff and the students’ core interests.
Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject with simple ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and good expression.
Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deep thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
On completion of the modules students will have acquired detailed knowledge of research methodologies as practised by different disciplines.
On completion of the module students will have learned to assess critically the research methodologies of different disciplines within medieval studies.
Acquired enhanced study and research skills related to medieval studies as broadly understood.
On completion of the module students will have acquired detailed knowledge of current trends in medieval studies, covering a range of different disciplines.
|TRAETHAWD||4000 word essay||
4000 word essay on a subject of the student's own choosing arising from the sessions covered on the module.
|GWAITH CWRS||Exercise in research and bibliography||
An extended source and literature list on a selected topic that will be further explored in the essay.
The presentation will be on the topic and methodological approach that will inform the essay to be submitted at the end of the module. The purpose of the presentation is to receive feedback that will support the development of the final essay.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11x two-hour seminars
Students will read around the topics covered in seminar using the guided reading provided.
Individual tutorials i) to prepare for presentation and ii) to discuss essay plans.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach