3 Lang Project (3 major)
3 Language Project (3 major subjects) 2022-23
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
Provided it meets with the approval of the relevant members of staff in Modern Languages, the chosen subject or translation passage may concern any aspect of French life, literature, history or culture. The chosen subject area / translation passage should not be something that is already a specific component of the syllabus. Texts chosen for translation should not already exist in English/Welsh translation. The essay/presentation will be in the target language.
-threshold -D- - D+: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills and limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
-good -C- - B+: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills and good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
-excellent -A- - A*: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills and excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
- Demonstrate the ability to EITHER gather information and condense it in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, orally or in writing, OR make informed decisions on translation choices, considering the socio-political and historical context of the source text.
- Display competency in French language and grammar.
- Display familiarity with EITHER citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography) OR advanced translation techniques.
- Display some evidence of original analytical thinking.
- Display the ability to conduct EITHER research OR extended translation work independently.
Each Three Language student (3 major) will complete THREE different assignments. Students must only choose ONE of the following assessments for this module to be completed in French. 1. Dissertation in the target language. Length: 4.000 words. Plus blackboard test on dissertation skills. 2. Translation into English. Length: 2500 words 3. Oral presentation in the target language. Duration: 30 minutes (20 mins plus 10 mins for questions) Each option can be taken only once (e.g. Oral Presentation for Italian, Translation for German and Dissertation for Spanish).