French Language Skills (Minor)
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jonathan Ervine
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 20 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts and complex grammatical structures, students acquire reading and writing skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both the target language and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To read and understand complex texts varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
Students will have an enlarged vocabulary in relation to the themes studied.
Students will be able to offer accurate and empathetic translations which not only capture the meaning of the text, but also its mood.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for the students