Spanish Language 2 (Minor)
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Helena Miguelez-Carballeira
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 20 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts and complex grammatical structures, students acquire reading and writing skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
No set text is given for this language module, although students are highly encouraged to purchase a copy of the following books for self-study:
Butt, John and Carmen Benjamin (2011) A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish, London and Oxford: Arnold. Pountain, Christopher, Teresa de Carlos and Angela Howkins (2011) Practicing Spanish Grammar: A Workbook, London & Oxford: Arnold.
Any other learning resources: Students are given two module dossiers at the beginning of the year containing all the necessary materials for their classes. Students are encouraged to complete the School’s Self-Study Portfolio (available from SMLC website)
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
50-69%: A good knowlege of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both the target language and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To read and understand complex texts varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
|Article summary / paraphrase||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Fully proficient to skilful oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing adroitness with a very wide range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzs-3020.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHFS)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHGS)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHIS)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 4 (BA/FGS4)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 4 (BA/FIS4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 4 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 3 (BA/GIS4)