Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jenny Byast
The dissertation module is the research project module. It aims to provide a platform for students to apply the knowledge, understanding, and application of experiences, developed in the 'taught' diploma modules or during placement (as appropriate for the masters programme being followed), to address a specific research topic. The design of the module will allow students to develop and demonstrate the self-initiative, independence and professional time management skills required to generate/collect, analyse, interpret and finally present a substantial piece of hypothesis or audit driven research.
Students will conduct either desktop or primary research under the supervision of a supervisor.
excellent Distinction (A- to A*) (range 70-100%) Primary criteria Excellent students demonstrate evidence of comprehensive subject expertise, highly original critical thinking and application of transferable skills. Indicators include extensive background study, highly focussed, logically structured answers and arguments, well defended with supportive evidence and appropriate examples. Highly original interpretation of information, with new links between topics developed and original independent problem solving. Secondary Criteria A Outstanding • Exceeds expectations for all primary criteria • Complete command of subject and other relevant areas • Ideas/arguments are highly original A+ Excellent - Exceeds expectations for most primary criteria - Complete command of subject - Ideas/arguments are highly original A Good - Meets all primary criteria - Command of subject but with minor gaps in knowledge areas - Ideas/arguments are mostly original A- Meets requirements of Class - Meets most but not all primary criteria - Complete command of subject but with some gaps in knowledge Ideas/arguments are mostly original
good Merit (B- to B+) (range 60-69%) Primary criteria Good students demonstrate evidence of strong subject expertise, mostly original critical thinking and good application of transferable skills. Indicators include evidence of background study, well focussed and structured answers and arguments, presented coherently with supportive evidence and appropriate examples and mostly free of factual/computational errors. Some original interpretation is evident although mostly well know links between topics described. Problems addressed mostly by existing methods/approaches, with good independent problem solving abilities. Secondary Criteria B+ Good • Exceeds expectations for most primary criteria • Command of subject but with gaps in knowledge • Ideas/arguments are well presented majority are original B Mid-level • Meets all primary criteria • Strong factual knowledge and understanding • Ideas/arguments are mostly well presented a number are original B- Meets requirements of class • Meets most but not all primary criteria • Strong factual knowledge with minor weaknesses in understanding • Ideas/arguments are mostly well presented few are original threshold
C+ Good within the class • Exceeds expectations for some primary criteria • Strong factual knowledge with some weaknesses in understanding • Ideas/arguments are limited but are well presented C Mid-level • Matches all primary criteria • Moderate factual knowledge with some weaknesses in understanding • Ideas/arguments are limited presented with weaknesses in logic/presentation C- Meets requirements of class • Matches most but not all primary criteria • Moderate factual knowledge with several weaknesses in understanding • Ideas/arguments are limited presented with weaknesses in logic/presentation
Present research findings in specific formats best suited to disseminate research data and findings
Efficiently execute, and/or modify/develop methodologies as appropriate for the chosen topic
Employ relevant methods of data analysis to address a specific research hypothesis/audit
Demonstrate initiative, independent working and professional time management skills
Demonstrate abilities to perform in-depth analysis of qualitative and/or quantitative data as appropriate for the topic
Critically discuss qualitative and/or quantitative data and draw appropriate conclusions (with relevance to the topic )
Generate/extract data from a variety of sources to address a specific research aim/hypothesis/research question/audit
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students work through the guidance for the dissertation liaising with their supervisor. There will be skype/email discussions with the module convenor for discussion
students will have skype sessions to discuss the format of their disserations etc including referencing, word counts and chapter compilation.
students communicate with their dissertation supervisor, meeting regularly to discuss progress. This time will be utilised in obtaining ethical approval if required, discussing data collection methods and how data is to be analysed.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.