Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
This module introduces students to the principles behind scientific progress and to the skills of scientific writing. Its content is based on two break-through publications and four seminars delivered by experts in the field. Their background, content and impact will be explained in the lecture unit of this module. The lectures are aligned with the break-through publications and seminars.
Genomic instability, either inherited or acquired, drives many human disorders. But how do we know about this?
This module introduces students to the concepts of scientific work and communication by critical analysis of one of the two break-through publications which deepened our understanding of genetic aberrations and their link with disease development. Each paper will be introduced in lectures and the content will be further analysed in the context of the recent advances presented by experts in the field.
Students will present critical analysis and broad implications of the content of one of the papers in a NATURE-style News & Views summary. They will also write a critical analysis of an external seminar, focusing on the latest development in an important area in genome stability research.
Students will get guidance on how to write the News & Views summary and the critical essay.
Category A (70%-100%):
a) News & Views summary: the scientific content & background are thoroughly understood, and embedded in personal interpretation and conclusions. The impact is clearly explained and work inspired by the findings has been included. The historic data on which the break-through paper is based is included. The text tells a story which is easy to follow; all technical terms are explained and embedded in context. Figures & tables are of own design and stand-alone pieces of information with complete legends; no errors in the reference list. Could be published.
b) Critical essay based on a SMS seminar; Very good command of the work presented; background and discussion are of high standard allowing the reader to understanding the context in which the research was conducted. Content of the seminar is accurate described and is presented in context of relevant literature. Accompanying figure(s) and/or Table(s) are informative and incorporates well with the essay.
Category: B (60%-69%)
a) News & Views summary: the scientific content & background is thoroughly understood, the key points & impact is clearly explained; text tells a story which is easy to follow for a lay audience; technical terms are explained and embedded in context. Figures & tables are of own design and stand-alone pieces of information with complete legends; no errors in the reference list.
b) Critical essay based on a SMS seminar; background and discussion are of good standard allowing the reader to understanding the context of the research presented. Content of the seminar is accurately described.. Accompanying figure(s) and/or Table(s) are informative and incorporates well with the essay.
C- i C+
Category C: (50%-59%)
a) News & Views summary: correct understanding of the scientific content, limited ability to explain the key points & impact; text fails to tell a story consisting mainly of loosely connected paragraphs or bullet points. Text contains mainly statements without explanation or context. Figures & tables taken from publications, incomplete figure/table legends; errors in the reference list. Far too scientific, not suitable for a lay readership.
b) Critical essay based on a SMS seminar: correct understanding of the key points. Background and discussion are very brief not giving the reader the full context. Content of the seminar is not explained well. Accompanying figure(s) and/or table(s) are missing or incomplete.
Category D: (40%-49%)
a) News & Views summary: basic understanding of the scientific content, limited ability to explain the key points & impact; text fails to tell a story consisting mainly of loosely connected paragraphs or bullet points. Figures & tables taken from publications, incomplete figure/table legends; errors in the reference list. Far too scientific, not suitable for a lay readership.
b) Critical essay based on a SMS seminar; background and discussion are missing or incomplete; Content of the seminar is not accurately described. Accompanying figure(s) and/or Table(s) are missing or incomplete.
Critically evaluate how genome instability contributes to human diseases at a molecular level.
Critically evaluate primary research articles and demonstrate an ability to synthesise research findings in a broader context.
Critique the various methodologies utilised in investigating genome instability.
|News and Views Summary||60.00|
|Critical analysis of a SMS seminar||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
6 x 2 hour lectures, covering: (i) Critical analyis of the two break through research articles (ii) Additional articles related to the break through articles (iii) Relevant information that will be important for understanding content of SMS seminars
Independent study time.
2 x 2 hour tutorials discussing: (i) critical evaluation of primary research articles (ii) critical evaluation of a sesearch seminar (iii) writing an effective essay presenting critical analyses and broader implications
4 x 1 hour seminars:
Students will attend four SMS seminars, each presented by a leading expert in the field. They will be provided with relevant background knowledge to facilitate their understanding of the content.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
The two break-through articles will be availalbe on Talis reading list. Additional reading articles will also be available on the list. Reccomended text: Molecular Biology of the Cell (6th Edition) by Alberts et al (copies are available in the library).
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/mse-3023.html
All relevant articles will be added to the before the module starts.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 3 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 3 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 4 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/BITE)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 3 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 3 (MBIOL/BIOT)