Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
40.000 Credydau neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Martyn Kurr
The Foundation Year Project module aims to provide students with the essential skills involved in planning, undertaking and presenting a piece of independent research on a topic relevant to their degree programme. The module will link to knowledge and skills developed in the programme and place a strong emphasis on the application of these to the topic being investigated.
Under the supervision of an academic member of staff, students will develop a research project on a topic of interest to them and aligned to their degree subject. The project will address a problem/topic through an identified aim and associated objectives. The project will draw on evidence sourced from primary and/or secondary sources and will present and analyse the evidence using appropriate techniques. The project module will be an opportunity to put into practice relevant academic skills developed in the Foundation Year programme and also to apply knowledge from other modules.
C- i C+
Grade C- to C+ A more developed understanding of relevant subject material but some errors present. Demonstrates the application of relevant techniques, with some success but contains some inaccuracies with some occasional misconceptions evident. There is some evidence of engagement with available information sources. Presentation of information and associated structure is generally clear but with scope for improvement.
Grade B- to B+ A generally well- developed understanding of relevant subject material with occasional errors present. Demonstrates the largely correct application of relevant techniques, with only minor instances of inaccuracy and/or misconception evident. There is good evidence of engagement with available information sources. Presentation of information and associated structure is clear and well-developed.
Grade D- to D+ Basic understanding of relevant subject material but some errors present. Demonstrates the application of relevant techniques, but with limited success and/or some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. There is limited evidence of engagement with available information sources. Presentation of information lacks clarity and clear structure.
Grade A- and above A well-developed understanding of relevant subject material with only very minor errors present. Demonstrates the highly correct application of relevant techniques, with virtually no instances of inaccuracy and/or misconception evident. There is excellent evidence of engagement with available information sources. Presentation of information and associated structure is clear and well-developed with some evidence reflectivity.
Devise and undertake an investigation to address a specified aim.
Produce a data set using appropriate techniques.
Analyse a data set using appropriate methods.
Communicate information effectively using appropriate means.
|INDIVIDUAL PRESENTATION||Verbal project presentation||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
24 x 1 hour tutorial (1 x 1 hour supervision tutorial per fortnight)
1 x 2 hr presentation seminar
Time spent working on the project and associated assignments.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Use of personal computers or University facilities will be required to complete the module.