Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Suzanna Jackson
The aim of the module is to improve students' powers of reasoning, ability to read scientific papers and to communicate scientific ideas to their contemporaries. Specifically;
- Students to collect evidence and use it to develop and support arguments.
- Students to critically appraise peer reviewed scientific papers to source evidence.
- Students to communicate evidence and arguments in both written and orally.
The Module provides general instruction on literature searching, writing a literature review, and oral presentations through plenary lectures. More detailed instruction, guidance and discussion will take place through seminar group meetings.
Students are also introduced to aspects of employability, eg. identifciation of unique key skills gained through their courses, CV preparation etc, as well as having specifically organised careers fair.
Topics covered will be very wide ranging across Ocean Sciences. Individual staff members contribute to a central list of topic areas, providing students with a wide range of topics. Once you've chosen a title, your tutor will guide you through the researching and writing process to suit your needs.
A basic review of the literature pertinent to the topic of research presented (a) as a rudimentary but competent written essay and (b) as an adequate oral presentation
A thorough review of the literature pertinent to the topic of research presented (a) as a detailed, tabulated and/or illustrated essay showing clear understanding of the topic and the research questions posed and (b) as a strong, confident oral presentation
An expansive review of the literature pertinent to the topic of research presented (a) as a highly creative, insightful, carefully argued, tabulated and/or illustrated essay and (b) as a riveting, entertaining, tightly argued oral presentation
Critically read, assimilate and review selected published information relevant to their chosen topic.
Competently present their findings in written form using tabulation, illustration and correct referencing methodology.
Competently present their findings in an oral presentation using Powerpoint.
Search for, find and bring together published information directly relevant to their chosen topic.
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Critical Appriasal of a Science Documentary||10.00|
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Critical Appraisal of Scientific Papers||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
8 Lectures spread over Semester
4 lectures focus on scientific writing, critical appraisal and presentation preparation 4 lectures focus on aspexts of employability
Seminars with individual staff, 4 spread across.
Oral presentations by students to students and staff
Student career fair.
Students locates and reads papers and critically appriases the content. Student integrates the information and arguements from different papers to develop the narritive presented in their essay and presentation Student prepares the essay and presentation
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
No specific list. Students are required to identify and search out, through the BU Library system, relevant peer reviewed literature.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C163: BSC Applied Marine Biology year 2 (BSC/AMB4)
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 2 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 2 (BSC/BMZIE)
- F890: Coastal Water Resources year 2 (BSC/CWR)
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 2 (BSC/GEO)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 2 (BSC/MARG)
- C160: BSC Marine Biology year 2 (BSC/MB)
- C165: BSc Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/MBIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 2 (BSC/MBO)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 2 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 2 (BSC/MESIE)
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 2 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 2 (BSC/MVZIE)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 2 (BSC/OGP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 2 (BSC/OS)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 2 (BSC/PGO)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 2 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- F651: MOcean Geological Oceanography year 2 (MOCEAN/GO)
- F732: MOcean Physical Oceanography year 2 (MOCEAN/PO)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/GO)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 2 (MSCI/MB)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/MBO)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 2 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 2 (MSCI/MVZ)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 2 (MSCI/PO)