Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Assinder
The purpose of this module is to examine the principal processes affecting contaminants and pollutants in the coastal environment. It details the inputs, behaviour and effects of various types of wastes found in the marine environment, their transfer from catchment to coast, their dispersion due to ocean mixing and circulation and considers the implications for coastal water use and management.
This module comprises a survey of the inputs, behaviour and effects associated with waste disposal to coastal waters. It examines in detail the nature of pollution and how pollution damage is assessed by considering the main types of contaminants/pollutants, their sources, environmental behaviour and possible effects. e.g. nutrients, metals, oil, POPs, radioactivity. A detailed 'Catchment to Coast’ case study using the Conwy Estuary highlights the problems caused by nutrients, bacteria, viruses and toxins and considers the implications for management of water quality. The physical processes which aid in dispersion of waste are considered with the use of models for practical application.
Equivalent to 40% Pass mark (D-)
Basic appreciation of contaminant/pollutant inputs and effects in coastal waters and implications for water quality. Basic understanding of the dispersion of contaminants/pollutants in coastal waters. Basic ability to manage your own learning and to make use of the referred research articles. Attendance at practical sessions.
Equivalent to 60-70% (B range)
Able to appreciate contaminant/pollutant inputs and effects in coastal waters and implications for water quality. Understanding of the dispersion of contaminants/pollutants in coastal waters. Demonstrate management of own learning and use of referred research articles. Attendance at practical sessions and perform practical work and analysis of data in a competent manner.
Equivalent to >70% (A range)
Considerable appreciation of contaminant/pollutant inputs and effects in coastal waters and implications for water quality. Thorough understanding of the dispersion of contaminants/pollutants in coastal waters. Thorough demonstration of ability to manage your own learning and to make use of referred research articles. Attendance at practical sessions and carry out experimental work carefully in an enquiring manner - performing additional experiments/tests to answer questions raised.
Be able to demonstrate an awareness of how water quality is controlled by a regulatory framework
Be able to demonstrate an understanding of, and critically appraise, the inputs, behaviour and effects associated with waste disposal to coastal waters
Be able to successfully model contaminant/pollution dispersion in coastal waters.
Be able to demonstrate an understand and critically appraise the particular problems caused by nutrients, bacteria, viruses and toxins in coastal waters
Be able to manage your own learning and to make use of referred research articles.
Be able to make accurate and precise chemical measurements, be able to interpret and discuss data and write a scientific report.
|Pollutant dispersion assignment||20.00|
|Fish Farm practical report||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Asynchronous lecture sessions and additional material.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Video demonstrations of important practical techniques and follow-up material plus computer modelling workshop
Students should consult the Talis reading list for the module for wider reading around the topic. In particular, the list contains a number of news items which act as 'case studies' of current issues in coastal water processes. These are ideal to demonstrate further reading in the subject and an awareness of current issues.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/osx-3005.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C163: BSC Applied Marine Biology year 4 (BSC/AMB4)
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 3 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 3 (BSC/GEOF)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 3 (BSC/MBO)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 3 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 4 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 4 (BSC/MESP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 3 (BSC/OS)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 3 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PGOP)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 3 (MSCI/GO)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 3 (MSCI/MBO)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (MSCI/MBOP)