Research Design and Planning
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Luis Gimenez Noya
To develop a critical understanding of the available information and prior research in the field selected for the research project.
To prepare a literature review that will form the basis for the research project introduction & discussion.
To prepare a project proposal form to define the plan of the project
To present an outline of the project proposal to a critical audience for comments.
To know how to critically review the project proposals of peers.
The purpose of this module is to ensure that the students are aware of background literature in the general area of their research project topic and are capable of developing a realistic project proposal.
Undertaking a literature review will ensure that they are well briefed before embarking on research, and should focus their attention on very specific areas of knowledge or lack of it and areas of contradiction. The literature review will enable them to place their study in the context of what is known, and thereby stimulate them to develop hypotheses which can be tested by specific questions. It is an essential step in project design.
Following introductory lectures each student will spend their time in self-study and literature searching. Project supervisors will meet with their students on a non-formal basis throughout the semester and provide guidance and feedback about progress in the completion of the literature review.
The project proposal ensures that students produce a realistic research plan that include clear testable hypothesis or realistic questions, appropriate methods, reasonable time frame, appropriate evaluation of logistic limitations, risks of milestones not being reached, contingency plans and risk assessment. At the conclusion of the literature review the student will be able to complete a project proposal form outlining the specific hypotheses to be tested and the overall plan for the project. This will be presented as a 10 minute talk with 5 minutes of questions and will help to confirm sound plans, spot problems and suggest better approaches, such that the student has a much clearer idea of how to proceed. Staff and fellow students will review the proposals, in particular to rein in overambitious plans, to identify problems in experimental design, raise awareness of likely logistical problems, and to draw attention to unconsidered safety issues.
Provide a basic coverage of the available literature and show some integration of the material. Develop at least one testable hypothesis from review. Basic formulation and presentation of project proposal.
Provide considerable coverage of the available literature and show clear indications of a critical integration of material across the topic area. Develop several testable hypothesis from review. Clear formulation and presentation of project proposal
Provide exhaustive coverage of the available literature showing full understanding and extensive critical integration of material across the topic area. Develop logically, prioritised, testable hypothesis from review. Excellent formulation and presentation of project proposal
Be able to critically review and make value judgements about information from a range of sources.
Be able to write an in depth literature review.
Be able to prepare and present a detailed project proposal
On completion of the module students will:
Have a good understanding of the selected topic.
|Written assignment, including essay||Background and project proposal||75.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Project Proposal Presentation||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.