Research Project Investigation
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Zylinski
The module will provide students with training and practise in the acquisition of information and data from experimental, observational and computational research, and the effective communication of their results in oral and poster presentations. Students will be embedded in research teams and will benefit from contact with graduate students and postdoctoral researchers, while under the overall supervision of a staff member. Students will take part in mini research conferences part-way through second semester where they will produce a presentation of their interim project results via a poster, and then give a final presentation of their research. These presentations will be made to academic staff, post-doctoral researchers, PhD students and their peers. Submission of the final project work at the end of the year will be via a scientific journal paper format where students will demonstrate their skills in integrating the results from literature searching, experimental, computational and observational scientific research.
A large part of the module will be self-study (with few lectures) and the activities undertaken by the student will vary depending on the type of research project taken to include laboratory, ship-based and/or field work studies. The process of acquiring information will lead to the production of a written plan and risk assessment. Students will integrate the various stages of their literature, experimental, computational and observational research into a scientific paper, poster and oral presentations.
Be able to keep an adequate record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at an adequate level of presentation. Show an adequate understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions at a rudimentary level. Show basic understanding of reviewer’s comments, and make some changes in accordance with those comments. Communicate the basics of the project orally using visual aids
Be able to keep a good record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at a good level of presentation. Show a detailed understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions in context. Show good understanding of reviewer’s comments, and make all necessary changes in accordance with these comments. Communicate the detail of the project orally with effective visual aids.
Be able to keep an excellent record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at a high level of presentation. Show a comprehensive understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and effectively discuss the conclusions with a complete overview of the topic. Show full understanding of reviewer’s comments, giving full and explanatory responses to each, making changes and improvements in all areas suggested. Effectively communicate the detail and the importance of the project orally with effective visual aids.
Be efficient in organising time spent planning and implementing research plan.
Be able to plan, organise and complete a series of experiments to test specific hypotheses.
Keep accurate and informative records of progress, including experimental data and supervisor discussions.
Communicate information about the research outcomes using written reports, verbal presentations and supervisor/ peer discussion.
Demonstrate the ability to adapt plans and modify work in response to progress meetings/tutorials, peer feedback, and reviewer’s comments.
Show competence in using and appraising research-relevant literature to inform independent research.
|Written response to reviewer's comments||10.00|
|Research project paper||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly submissions to individual Research Journals to document progress and engagement.
Lectures spread across both semesters to cover upcoming content, including project planning, producing and presenting a scientific poster, and responding to reviewer's comments.
A weekly session to discuss progress with peers and module organiser will be timetabled in weeks where no other teaching for the module occurs.
Students will attend poster conference and presentations of their peers. Engagement with the research of others is a vital part of becoming an independent researcher.
Everything to do with planning and carrying out the independent research project, which may include training for using specialist equipment, online tutorials for specific software, fieldwork, lab work. Includes implementing planned research, data analysis, writing research paper, creating poster and presentation, submitting and responding to feedback on draft work etc.
5 x 1 hour formal tutorials with project supervisors to aid progress.
1 x 3 hour drop-in session for for advice on any aspects of writing up and data analysis.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 5 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 4 (MSCI/MB)
- C171: MSci Marine Biology with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/MBIE)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/MBO)
- F714: MSci Marine Biology & Oceanography with International Exp. year 5 (MSCI/MBOIE)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/MBOP)
- C17P: MSci Marine Biology with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/MBP)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C173: MSci Marine Biology & Zoology with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/MBZIE)
- C1CP: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/MBZP)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MVZ)
- C174: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/MVZIE)
- C18P: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 5 (MSCI/MVZP)