Control of Mental Processes
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Paloma Mari-Beffa
This module will provide a deeper understanding of basic mechanisims of executive functions with the idea of seeking their potential application in normal and special populations. After reviewing some of the theoretical modules created to account for these processes, students will be presented with a closer look at the neural structures responsible for cognitive control while linking it with analyses of its abnormal functioning, particularly in typical examples of loss of executive control.
Throughout the module students will present case studies in which a particular intervention to improve some of these functions is presented. Each case will be followed by a discussion on the basic cognitive mechanisms underlying the problem and its solution, particularly in typical examples of loss of executive control.
The aim of the module is to empower students with analytical skills used in Neurocognitive assessment to explain executive function in normal and special populations.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture materinal. No real development of arguments.
Reasonable comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area. Clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
To understand the coordination across multiple cognitive processes needed for a particular action.
To know and understand the basic mechanisms behind cognitive control.
To be able to use cognitive theories to explain behaviour.
To know the mechanisms studied by each of the cognitive paradigms.
To be able to apply this knowledge to individual cases.
It contains three parts: a) Part A. 50 MCQs where only one option is correct (50% of the grade); b) PART B. Essay questions on theoretical issues (25%) They should answer one of three options with a maximum of 500 words; c) PART C. Essay questions on clinical cases (25%). They should make up a case of a person demonstrating problems in only one of three possible executive sub-processes, feeling free to choose any scenario and syndrome. They should clearly describe the symptoms that would lead the student to believe that there is such underlying deficit. There is a maximum of 500 words.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Oral Presentation||
These presentations will be done in pairs. Student 1 will present a clinical case and student 2 will analyse it in neurocognitive terms. I will only present the pairs here and students are free to decide who covers each part. Each presentation will consist of 3 parts: 1) Talk. Clinical Case, led by student 1 (max 10 minutes in the case of a talk). They should be on a clinical case that presents executive problems. They could be either from existing publications, or from your own experience (if you choose this option, please change the details for the story -name, location, age, social status, occupation, gender, affiliation, etc. - as much as possible to make its main character completely anonymous and unrecognizable). For those choosing to do the oral presentation, it is very important that you never reveal the diagnostic at this stage, so students exercise their clinical skills. 2) Questions, Diagnostics, Analysis, Comments, led by all students in the class (max 10 minutes). 3) Talk. Analysis of the case in Neurocognitive terms, led by student 2 (max 10 minutes), with special emphasis on the Executive Functions. This case should be then analysed with respect to the sub-processes and parameters studied during the formal lectures and their possible brain localisation. These presentations will be marked on the spot, and you will receive feedback afterwards; although the grade will not be revealed until the end of the module, so all students receive it at the same time. 35% of the module’s grade comes from this presentation (25% from the lecturer and second marker, and 10% from peers). Contribution from the audience during the Talks will make up an additional 5% in this module. It is expected that to reach the full 5% grade there should be at least an average of two questions for each weekly session, although additional comments are encouraged. These will be recorded by the second marker during the sessions. These will begin in the fourth week of Semester 2 and will run until the end of it.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
They will be dedicate to research on the individual clinical cases required for the workshops, preparation of material for the lectures and revision for the final exam.
These will be one hour lectures that will be recorded and available off-line. The idea is to provide basic content to guide interpretation of individual cases during the seminars.
These are student led presentation of clinical cases that will be discussed in the context of the executive functions affected.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 3 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/PHSP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 3 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/CCJPIE)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 3 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 4 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 3 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 3 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 3 (BSC/BICPS)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 3 (BSC/MP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 3 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 4 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C681: BSc Sport & Exercise Psychology w International Experience year 3 (BSC/SEPIE)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 3 (BSC/SEXP)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 3 (LLB/LPSY)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PS)