Aspects of Clinical Psychology
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Azlina Amir Kassim
This module introduces students to psychopathology, by systematically examining the history, classification, causes and treatment of psychological disorders. The module takes an integrative approach and critically examines the contribution of psychological, biological and sociocultural determinants of mental illness.
The module begins by considering the historical context of mental illness and the development of the diagnostic classification system (DSM-5) before considering in detail anxiety disorders, mood disorders, eating disorders, personality disorders, dissociative disorders, childhood and adolescent problems and neurodevelopmental disorders
Reasonable coverage of the topic area. Shows a reasonable level of clarity of argument and expression. Demonstrates a reasonable level of depth of insight into theoretical issues. Shows a reasonable level of background reading and study. A reasonably focused answer that is reasonably structured and written in the required academic/APA manner/style. Some grammatical and punctuation errors. Shows some level of original thought, interpretation and deliberation. Shows some evaluation of the evidence base presented, rather than just being a shallow over-view. Has a reasonable evidence base (Grade level: B- to B+).
Shows a comprehensive and accurate coverage of the topic area. Shows good clarity of argument and expression. Demonstrates depth of insight into theoretical issues. Shows extensive background reading and study. A highly focused answer that is well structured and written in the required academic/APA manner/style. Few grammatical and punctuation errors. Shows original thought, interpretation and deliberation. Evaluates the evidence base presented, rather than being a shallow over-view without any depth of understanding. Has a good evidence base (Grade level: A- to A*).
Shows a poor coverage of the topic area. Has poor clarity of argument and expression. Demonstrates a weak insight into theoretical issues. Shows limited background reading and study. A poorly focused answer that is unstructured and not written in the required academic/APA manner/style. Many grammatical and punctuation errors. Fails to show any original thought, interpretation and deliberation. Fails to evaluate the evidence base presented, it is just a shallow over-view without any depth of understanding or meaning. Has a weak evidence base (Grade level: C+ to C-).
Demonstrate an understanding of the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
Define, classify and identify the major psychopathological disorders.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theoretical and empirical research findings from biological, sociocultural and psychological perspectives concerning the causes and treatment of psychopathological disorders.
Critically discuss the key concepts and issues associated with the current approach to the classification of psychopathological disorders.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of psychopathological disorders and their treatments.
Demonstrate written and spoken communication skills appropriate for the discussion of psychopathology.
|TRAETHAWD||A case study in psychopathology OR a Twisted fairy tale||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two hour weekly lecture
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Core textbook: Davey, G. (2014). Psychopathology: Research, Assessment and Treatment in Clinical Psychology (BPS Textbooks in Psychology Series). This is the second edition that is updated for DSM-5.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 2 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 2 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 2 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 2 (BA/LP)
- CQ81: BA Psychology/Linguistics year 2 (BA/PL)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 2 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 2 (BA/SPP)
- C8X1: BSc Psychology with Child Language Development (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PCIE)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C8X9: BSC Psychology w.Chld Lng. Dvlpmnt year 2 (BSC/PSCLD)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)