Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Stephanie Baines
The emphasis of this course will be on providing students with a conceptual and historical understanding of psychology and how it has developed into the academic discipline that it is today. The focus of the course will be on theoretical understandings of psychology – where psychology as a science pursues finding of new things through experimentation and scientific endeavour, this course will focus on how these findings are understood and interpreted using classic and contemporary theories. The module will explore the social and cultural construction of psychology, including theories on gender, politics and ethics, and will show how psychology may operate as a powerful form of knowledge. The module will also look at more contemporary issues in psychology such as the emergence of self-help literature, all the while linking these into our understanding of the discipline of psychology in its entirety.
This module will cover the following topics:
- Review of history and perspectives in psychology including discussion
of psychology as a scientific discipline.
- A brief history of the main concepts and paradigms in psychology and how they contribute to the field as it stands today - Introduction to theories in understanding psychology focusing on social and cultural construction of psychology - Cross-cultural psychology - Free will and consciousness - Ethics and how it has shaped knowledge and the discipline as a whole
- Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area with clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
- Deep understanding of theoretical underpinnings of discipline of psychology and integration into contemporary psychology
- In depth understanding theories and conceptual and historical issues and ability to explain several similarities and differences between them
- Evidence that the student’s understanding does not only rely on lecture material but is also based on core texts and additional reading of recommended papers.
- Adequate answers or writing to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
- Basic understanding of theoretical underpinnings of discipline of psychology
- Adequate knowledge about theories and conceptual and historical issues and some ability to compare and contrast them
- Reasonably comprehensive coverage of the topic. Well organised and structured writing. Good understanding of the material and good demonstration of ability to critically evaluate concepts.
- Good understanding theories and conceptual and historical issues and ability to explain several similarities and differences between them.
Demonstrate an understanding on how ethics and knowledge have shaped the discipline
Critically evaluate contemporary psychology, e.g., self-help movement, using classical and contemporary theories
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of theoretical underpinnings of psychology as well as scientific principles.
Reflect on how contemporary and historical issues impact contemporary psychology
Demonstrate the ability to integrate ideas and empirical findings within different areas of psychology
Demonstrate an understanding of the social and cultural construction of psychology as a discipline
Demonstrate an ability to compare and critique conceptual and historical paradigms and models
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two hour lecture each week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-2017.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 2 (BSC/BICPS)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 2 (BSC/PBM)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 2 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)