Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ken Valyear
The aim of this module is to provide students with an understanding of how key historical and conceptual milestones have shaped the disciplines of psychology and neuroscience as they are today. We will consider the origins of leading contemporary theories in psychology and neuroscience, as well as those ideas and technological advancements that gave rise to modern methods. The core principles of the scientific method, good ethical research practice, and the importance of reproducibility and open science will be covered.
The module will cover the following topics: History of psychology; History of neuroscience; Influential theories and paradigms; The scientific method; Reproducibility; Open Science; Research Ethics.
Detailed understanding of the subject area • Logically presented and defended arguments • Clarity of expression • Evidence of original thinking • Evidence of background study • No factual errors
Knowledge of some areas/principles • Poorly focused and unstructured arguments, with some irrelevant material • Lack of clarity of expression • No original interpretation • Limited evidence of background study • Several factual errors
Strong Knowledge • Understands most but not all of subject area • Focused and coherent arguments with good structure • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links described between topics • Evidence of background study • Mostly free of factual errors
Demonstrate understanding of the principles of the scientific method, and the importance of replication and open science.
Demonstrate an understanding of the core principles of research ethics, and how historical and conceptual milestones led to their development.
Demonstrate an understanding of how conceptual and historical milestones have helped to shape the discipline of psychology
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of theoretical underpinnings of psychology as well as scientific principles.
Demonstrate the ability to integrate ideas and empirical findings across different areas of psychology and neuroscience
Demonstrate an ability to compare and critique conceptual and historical paradigms and models
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two hour lecture each week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
Retrieve and organise information effectively.
Handle primary source material critically.
Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of in psychology.
Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-2017.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 2 (BSC/BICPS)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 2 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYNP)