Realms of Magic
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Raluca Radulescu
This module aims to build the students’ knowledge and understanding of a range of texts from the medieval and early modern periods, develop and refine their knowledge and understanding of the relationship of texts to the historical context, and assist with working on their ability to analyse texts in different genres and apply the concepts and aesthetic terms specific to each.
This module covers a selective history of fantasy, with an emphasis on its early origins drawing on both epic and romance, and ranging from medieval to modern reinventions of the genre. Critical and theoretical modern theory such as gender, postcolonial, race and ideology, and other approaches will be employed to explore a flexible range of texts that will include English, French, German, Icelandic medieval romances and epic (studied in translation as appropriate), early modern adaptations and inventions of fantasy, followed by the birth of modern fantasy in the late nineteenth century and its rebirth in the twentieth and twenty-first. Topics such as spiritual instruction, love, political governance, war, sexual fulfilment and magic will be investigated, while the versatility of the genre and its enduring appeal will be judged with reference to modern transformations of the genre in the work of C. S. Lewis, J. R.R. Tolkien and R.R.Martin, as well as film adaptations.
Typically, work graded D- to D+ (or 40 to 49) will show many of the following qualities: • Unsure and lacking in confidence when discussing ideas • Referring to the subject in question in a superficial manner • Making an effort to provide fairly balanced answers • Some points in the argument irrelevant to the topic • Little evidence of background reading • Some uncertainty over language and syntax • Strengths and weaknesses fairly balanced; occasionally clumsy and unimaginative • In creative work: superficial • Not succeeding in mastering the requirements of the medium
Typically, work graded B- to B+ (or 60 to 69) will show many of the following qualities: • Discusses ideas adeptly • Most of the arguments about a specific field are well-aired • Displays knowledge of the subject in question; the answer is relevant • Shows analytical and clear thought • Gives evidence of relevant reading • Shows accuracy in expression with mastery over language. • A few minor errors here and there. • Signs of creative thought deserve a higher position within the class • In creative work: shows signs of originality, having understood the requirements of the medium • Plans of well-balanced and full answers, despite some gaps
Typically, work graded A- to A** (or 70 to 100) will show many of the following qualities: • Discusses ideas with confidence and precision • Demonstrates maturity and sophistication • Displays deep knowledge of the subject in question; the answer is totally relevant • Shows independent, analytical and clear thought • Gives evidence of substantial and relevant reading • Shows great accuracy in expression, displaying total mastery over all aspects of the language • Shows occasional signs of brilliance and originality of thought • In creative work: displays considerable originality • Command over medium; may have potential for publication/production
show understanding of the presentation and referencing skills required in an academic essay at level 6 (year 3).
display an informed sense of the overall development of the genre of fantasy from the twelfth century to the twenty-first.
possess detailed knowledge of a number of major works relating to the genre.
have the ability to evaluate the literary quality of these works.
have the ability to situate these works in their various socio-historical contexts.
possess informed knowledge of a range of differing interpretations of the fantasy genre
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
see above: minimal
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxe-3094.html
as provided in blackboard
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3Q5Q: BA Cymraeg and English Literature year 3 (BA/CEL)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 3 (BA/ELEL)
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELH)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 4 (BA/ELI)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELIS)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJ)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 3 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/ELLITF)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELMIE)
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/ELTP)
- M3Q9: BA English Literature and Criminology and Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/ENC)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 3 (BA/ENCWP)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 3 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ENIE)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 4 (BA/FEL)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 4 (BA/GEL)
- T124: BA English Literature & Chinese year 4 (BA/LITCH)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- 3VQV: BA Philosophy and Religion and English Literature year 3 (BA/PREN)
- 3L3Q: BA Sociology and English Literature year 3 (BA/SEL)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/ECI)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 3 (BA/ENGEL)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENGLC)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 3 (BA/LEL)
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 3 (LLB/ILEL)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (MARTS/ELCW)
- Q321: MArts English Literature with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/ELIE)
- Q320: MArts English Literature year 3 (MARTS/ELIT)