Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Raluca Radulescu
(1) to help students develop their autonomy as learners, through guidance from an experienced researcher.
(2) to help students gather knowledge of the current state of scholarship in a given field of literary research.
(3) to help students structure a complex argument in secondary form.
(4) to help students employ a mixture of primary and secondary evidence in an essay.
(5) to help students learn to frame working hypotheses, to evaluate them in the light of counter-arguments and counter-evidence, and to revise them. In doing this, they relate abstract principles and concepts to particular literary texts.
(6) to help students design a small-scale programme of literary research.
This optional module enables students who have completed two taught modules (QXE4015 Literary Theory, Scholarship and Research OR KAH 4401 Understanding the Middle Ages, and one other module) to develop an individual research project, shorter in length than the MA Dissertation, with guidance from a supervisor. The precise nature of the topic will be agreed between the student and the supervisor.
60-69% A candidate’s work reaching Merit will show many of the following qualities: • An advanced level of factual knowledge. • Significant [substantial] knowledge of relevant theories and types of analysis. • Some evidence of original thought. • The ability to organise and argue effectively, make balanced judgements, and demonstrate critical thought. • Fluent and accurate expression. • Competent use of quotation and references.
70% and above Typically, the work of a candidate reaching Distinction will show many of the following qualities: • Thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant theories and types of analysis. • Thorough knowledge of a range of sources and the capacity to engage these critically. • Introduction and discussion of original ideas. • Relevant, well-organised and sophisticated argument. • High ratio of analysis to exposition. • Maturity, clarity and cogency of expression. • Excellent handling of quotation and references.
50-59% A Pass (C) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities: • A satisfactory level of knowledge, analysis and expression. • Some familiarity with, and understanding of, relevant theoretical issues. • Generally sound organisation of argument, with some critical ability. • Accurate expression. • Competent use of quotation and references.
Present a Masters level argument that takes due note of the current state of scholarship in its field.
Write persuasively and unambiguously at an advanced level.
Structure a complex and sophisticated argument in essay form.
Incorporate primary and secondary evidence in an essay, as appropriate to the chosen topic, and to document it using a specified system of annotation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students meet with the tutor with whom they are working for a total of 8 hours of supervision.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3AB: MA Arthurian Literature year 1 (MA/ALI)
- V9AC: MA Medieval Studies year 1 (MA/MS)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 4 (MARTS/ELCW)
- Q320: MArts English Literature year 4 (MARTS/ELIT)