Introduction to Poetry
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Miss Fiona Cameron
- To examine a range of contemporary poetry from Britain and elsewhere
- To encourage imaginative writing that draws on knowledge of the links between contemporary poetry and the poetry of the past
- To explore different methods of structuring poetry
- To develop skills in writing concisely and expressively
- To provide practice in essential editorial skills
This module, compulsory for creative writing students, introduces you to the range of forms available to the poet in the twenty-first century. You will read a variety of poetry and respond through producing your own poems. You will be asked to work in a variety of forms and to justify your reasons for choosing them. The module will demonstrate the ways in which poetry is an art form particularly well suited to expressing the experience of contemporary everyday life. We will also look at connections between poetry and music and the visual arts as well as the impact of digital technologies. Poetry will be presented both in the written and spoken form, and students will be encouraged to consider the performance of poetry both in class and by attending and reviewing recommended evening poetry readings by leading poets. .
Typically, work graded D- to D+ (or 40 to 49) will show many of the following qualities: • Limited engagement with ideas. • Link between themes and form not always clear. • Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities • Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process. • Work in need of some revision.
Typically, work graded B- to B+ (or 60 to 69) will show many of the following qualities: • Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality. • Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms. • Resourceful use of language • Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing. • Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
Typically, work graded C- to C+ (or 50 to 59) will show many of the following qualities: • Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas. • Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained. • Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused. • Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing. • Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
Typically, work graded A- to A** (or 70 to 100) will show many of the following qualities: • Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas. • Excellent understanding and control of form. • Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation. • Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing. • Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
The ability to write concisely and expressively
A broad knowledge of contemporary poetry from Britain and elsewhere.
An informed sense of the relationship between contemporary poetry and the poetry of the past.
Familiarity with the different methods of structuring poetry.
Practice in essential editorial skills
|Portfolio - poetry and critical commentary||50.00|
|Portfolio - poetry and critical commentary||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Class discussion of texts, including students' own writing. Creative writing exercises designed to stimulate new ideas and skills, with regular feedback given.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 1 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 1 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 1 (BA/CRIE)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 1 (BA/CWMS)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 1 (BA/ECI)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 1 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 1 (BA/ELCW)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 1 (BA/ENCWP)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/ENGLC)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/FRCW)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/FSCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/GERCW)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 1 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 1 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 1 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 1 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/ENIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 1 (BA/MCWIE)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 1 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 1 (LLB/LCMWI)