Poetry and Short Fiction: Image, Voice and Narrative
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Zoë Skoulding
The aims of the module are:
To encourage a critical understanding of the particular qualities of the short story and of contemporary poetry
To develop a comprehensive understanding of how to use techniques appropriate to a specific literary form
To enhance students' ability to edit and revise creative work to a high standard
To enable students to reflect critically on creative practice in order to sustain and develop it.
This module focuses on the specific literary qualities of the short story and the poem, and how to achieve them. It is designed to build expertise in writing with precision and originality in these forms. In addition to exploring the qualities of each form, the module will suggest ways of considering the interface between them, for example in the use of imagery or by comparing the prose poem with flash fiction. Models from short stories will demonstrate how fiction writers, through dialogue and realist notation, create scenes that define character and develop plot. Students will develop an understanding of how to use imagery, voice and structure effectively in their own stories, as well as how to use experimental techniques to challenge traditional expectations.
C- i C+
A 2(ii) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas.
Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained.
Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused.
Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing.
Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
A 3rd class candidate’s work will show many of the following features:
Limited engagement with ideas.
Link between themes and form not always clear.
Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities.
Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process.
Typically, the work of a first class candidate will show many of the following qualities:
Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas.
Excellent understanding and control of form.
Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation.
Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing.
Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
A 2(i) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality.
Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms.
Resourceful use of language.
Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing.
Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
- A critical understanding of the particular qualities of the short story and of contemporary poetry
- Comprehensive understanding of how to use techniques appropriate to a specific literary form
- The ability to edit and revise creative work to a high standard
- Ability to reflect critically on creative practice in order to sustain and develop it.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Twenty-two weekly one-hour seminars over Semesters 1 and 2. Two readings by visiting writers.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Rhestr ddarllen Talishttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxp-2001.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 2 (BA/ECI)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 2 (BA/ENCWP)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENGLC)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 3 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 3 (BA/CRIE)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 2 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 2 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/ENIE)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)