Language of Music
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Stephen Rees
This module is designed for Foundation Year students who do not yet read staff notation or lack confidence in so doing. It comprises an intensive programme of exercises, supported by seminars and participation in group music-making, which will bring students up to an appropriate level of skill for them to be able to read music confidently in classes, rehearsals and in private practice. This module opens to the door to advanced musical study to all students, regardless of their experience before arriving in Bangor.
Principles of musical language: pitch, rhythm, metre. Principles of notation: pitch, rhythm, metre. Clefs: treble, bass (and rules for how to read the others). Keys and chromaticism. Tempo, dynamics and expression Basic principles of harmony (triads, inversions, voice-leading). Roman letter chord analysis. Basic principles of counterpoint (canon, imitation)
The student can read music satisfactorily with care, but not in tempo at sight. The student can demonstrate that they have a basic grasp of music as an academic discipline
The student can read music accurately, and can do so in tempo at sight with only occasional errors. The student can demonstrate a good understanding of music as an academic discipline
The student can read music accurately in tempo and at sight. The student can demonstrate an ability to apply original insight into music as a cultural phenomenon.
On completion of this module, students will be able to read and write monodic music fluently using treble and bass clefs.
On completion of this module, students will be able to interpret harmonic formations and music written on other clefs
On completion of this module, students will be able to perform confidently as a member of a large ensemble (or other ensemble as agreed in advance with the module co-ordinator).
On completion of this module, students will be able to understand the principles behind the academic study and practice of music.
|GWAITH CWRS||Weekly exercises||
Students are supplied with 4 pages of exercises on a weekly basis. These are marked weekly. The grade awarded for this component is a conflation of these weekly marks. The exercises will address principles of musical language and musical notation, including keys, expression marks, basic harmony and counterpoint, and the use of Roman Letter chord analysis.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Rehearsal logbook||
Students are required to keep a weekly log of their participation in one of the University’s large ensembles (orchestra, choir, opera group, etc.), or other ensemble as agreed in advance with the module co-ordinator. The log should be completed weekly on the VLE, and should record and reflect on the work done that week, both by the student individually, and by the ensemble as a team.
An essay on a topic set by the module tutor, addressing a topic in musical culture. The essay topics will include options on musico-historical and performance-related topics, with particular relevance to the work undertaken in the ensemble participation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Participation in weekly rehearsals (2 hours each) of one of the University's large ensembles (orchestra, choir, opera group, etc.). or other ensemble as agreed in advance with the module co-ordinator. Participation in the chosen ensemble requires regular attendance and reflection on the weekly contribution and progress of the individual, and the development of the ensemble as a whole.
Work on exercises set. Additional tutorial support is available on an ad-hoc basis
Weekly 1-hour seminars
11 2-hour weekly workshops
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-0002.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MUSF)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BMUS/MUSF)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/ELLITF)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/FGS4#F)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/HF)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MSF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/POLF)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SF)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SOCPOLF)