Skills for Learning & Work
Skills for Learning and Work 2023-24
Ysgol Gwyddorau Addysgol
Modiwl - Semester 1 a 2
This module will consider several elements which will assist you in your studies as well as prepare you for the world of work and help you fulfil your potential. This module will consider a range of learning theories, including the intellectual theories of Gardner, Salvey, Mayer and others; and how these are relevant to the personal learning methods of our students. The content of the modules will connect with your Personal Development Plan.
• develop the students’ skills with regard to reading and note taking strategies;
• summarise, reference, and effective use of the on-line library service;
• develop theoretic and reflective writing skills including reviewing and evaluating text..
• Develop editing and proofreading skills with regard to personal work
• Give students the opportunity to develop confidence when giving oral presentation via preparing presentations to peers, or through preparing blogs or vlogs. Consider performance anxiety and how to manage it.
• Consider the importance of positive psychology and emotional intelligence when working with children, young people, families and other professionals.
• Develop the students’ understanding of themselves, their values, beliefs and resilience in order to provide appropriate boundaries and reflect on relationships in work with children and young people.
• Consider the effects of motivation on learning and help students develop awareness of their own and others learning and motivation. Evaluate their learning experiences, their successes and challenges. How to respond to feedback.
• Time management and prioritising tasks.
-threshold -D-, D, D+: A satisfactory understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to an adequate standard. Be able to search for and refer to reliable sources and use as a basis for work. Show an understanding of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments.
-good -C-, C, C+: A good understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to a good standard. Be able to search for and refer to a range of reliable sources and use as a basis for work. Show a good understanding of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments and make effective use of these.
-excellent -A-, A, A+, A, A*: A comprehensive understanding of one’s own ability to learn effectively; an ability to research extensively and present one’s work in oral and written presentations in an appropriate academic style and to a very high standard. Be able to search for and refer to a wide range of reliable sources and use as a sound basis for work. Show an excellent understanding of a range of useful skills for planning and preparing assignments and make appropriate choices for their use for a range of assignments.
- Apply the knowledge and understanding in developing their own skills in context of their own studies
- Demonstrate an understanding of learning, motivation, and emotional intelligence and consider how different learning styles can be supported.
- Develop academic research and writing skills appropriate to undergraduate study
- Develop an understanding of own learning style(s), development and experiences
- Develop confidence through oral presentations and investigating various communication styles (BOPS)
- Organize their learning and knowledge using a range of information sources and present their work appropriately