Inclusion and Learning Needs
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Clive Underwood
The module aims to acquaint course members with an understanding of the meanings of the terms inclusion, inclusive education, ALN, and SEND. Course members will learn, through research, about the range of reasons why some pupils may experience additional learning needs, and the approaches and methods used by schools and other agencies to support learners with ALN.
Course members will examine different case studies, exploring a variety of approaches to inclusion and ALN, and are encouraged to critically evaluate responses to pupil learning needs, within the context of recent research and statutory governmental guidance and legislation.
By adopting this approach, course members are encouraged to reflect on the key issues involved in inclusion and the provision of services and education to pupils with ALN / SEND in Wales and further afield.
The module includes:
- An introduction to the concepts and terminology used in the field, relating to inclusion, inclusive education, ALN and SEND.
- A history of inclusion and inclusive education
- An examination of the ALN/SEND system in schools in Wales and further afield
- An exploration and evaluation of different types of provision for learners with additional learning needs
- Assessment of a multi-agency approach to supporting learners with additional learning needs
A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of the key concepts of 'special educational needs', ‘additional learning needs’ and 'inclusive education'; the ability to reflect on the policies, methods, arrangements, and systems within and outside the school in light of adequate knowledge of the statutory requirements and ways of operating partnerships within schools and agencies
A good knowledge and understanding of the key concepts of 'special educational needs', ‘additional learning needs’ and 'inclusive education'; the ability to reflect critically on the policies, methods, arrangements, and systems within and outside the school in light of significant knowledge of the statutory requirements and ways of operating partnerships within schools and agencies
A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the key concepts of 'special educational needs', ‘additional learning needs’ and 'inclusive education; the ability to critically reflect in depth evaluate the policies, methods, arrangements, and systems within and outside the school in the light of comprehensive knowledge of the statutory requirements and ways of operating partnerships within schools and agencies
Successful students will be able to:
demonstrate critical understanding of current concepts and principles in the field of ALN and evaluate how these relate to policy and practice in relation to inclusive provision to meet the needs of children and young people with ALN;
demonstrate comprehensive understanding of common ALN conditions and definitions and critically evaluate the impact of different educational strategies and approaches in meeting an individual’s needs and rights;
identify and evaluate the roles of multi agency professionals in supporting children and young people with ALN, in order to gain access to inclusive education, services and society;
demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature and purpose of institutions and the role of adults, in supporting the needs of the children and young people;
critically review a range of case studies related to ALN provision and the inclusive process.
|Written analysis of chosen case study||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private Study (146 hours)
Placement or desk-based research alternative: 18 hours ( 6 @ 3 hours weekly )
36 hours of contact time delivered in a blended learning approach, involving online provision in the form of structured tasks, readings, recorded presentations and some face to face support seminars.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- critically explore examine and evaluate the significance of the cultural historical and contemporary features of various policies institutions and agencies in regard to babies young children and childhood
- plan for and where appropriate implement play and the curriculum assessment evaluation and improvement of creative learning opportunities taking account of young children's health and emotional well-being
- lead support and work collaboratively with others and demonstrate an understanding of working effectively in teams with parents carers and other professionals 11
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
- use skills of observation and analysis in relation to aspects of the lives of babies and young children
- reflect upon the ethics of studying babies and young children and their families and communities
- generate and explore hypotheses and research questions relating to early childhood in an ecological context
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-2030.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 2 (BA/CYS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 2 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/CYSS)