Working with vulnerable families
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Fliss Kyffin
This module will develop students' knowledge and understanding of a range of issues that families may experience and the impact this can have on children and young people's psychological, social and educational development in schools and settings. It will enable students to learn skills and strategies to provide support and develop relationships with vulnerable familes in order to improve outcomes for children and young people in schools and settings. Students will engage with evidenced based literature about the challenges families face and what constitutes good practice in supporting them and their children. They will extend their knowledge about agencies, services and training providers that support practitioners working with vulnerable families and develop resources to enable effective multi-agency working. This module sits primarily within the education strand of the BA Childhood and Youth Studies, and includes elements of sociology and psychology in line with the programme specification. Note: In 2020-21 this will be taught weeks 28-30 and 34-36 as a blended learning module.
The module addresses three main themes: 1. Transient families This theme considers the needs of families and children / young people who may move neighbourhoods and schools frequently. For example, military families, and families in crisis who access temporary housing or women's refuges. 2. Divided families This theme considers the needs of families and children / young people who are separated. For example, prisoners' families, those with a hospitalised family member, familes experiencing bereavement of an adult or child, and families who are experiencing divorce or separation. 3. Transformed families This theme considers the needs of families and children / young people who are experiencing significant changes. For example, pregnant school attenders, teenage parents, families who have adopted children and families where there are changes in identity and gender.
Good: C-, C. C+ A good knowledge and understanding (making some good reference to research) of: the social and educational impact on outcomes for children and young people living in vulnerable families; evidence based strategies and resources to support this group; agencies, services and training available for teachers and other practitioners supporting this group.
threshold: D-, D, D+ A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of: the social and educational impact on outcomes for children and young people living in vulnerable families; evidence based strategies and resources to support this group; agencies, services and training available for teachers and other practitioners supporting this group.
Excellent: A- to A* A comprehensive and well-informed (making excellent use of research) knowledge and understanding of: the social and educational impact on outcomes for children and young people living in vulnerable families; evidence based strategies and resources to support this group; agencies, services and training available for teachers and other practitioners supporting this group.
Students will develop a thorough understanding of the social and cultural reasons why families in crisis become vulnerable and may require support.
Students will be able to identify and critically analyse the impact on social, psychological educational outcomes for children and young people who are living in vulnerable families.
Students will be able to access and evaluate current and relevant information about agencies, services and training providers that can support teachers and other practitioners who work with parents / carers, children and young people and are identified as being a vulnerable family,
Students will demonstrate knowledge and understanding of evidence based strategies that can be used to support parents / carers, children and young people who are identified as being a vulnerable family and show that they can put theory into practice.
|ASTUDIAETH ACHOS||Analysis of practitioner interview||
Students will analyse an interview by a practitioner working with vulnerable families in relation to themes of education, psychology and sociology.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Resource file for workplace||
Create an easy read guide for practitioners about one group of vulnerable families. Include a list of 10 services and agencies that the families could be signposted to and 5 training courses that could support practitioners in working with such families.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures will be led by the module convenor and encourage student participation and discussion through practical and academic activities.
Students will examine case studies of vulnerable families and work together to create action plans.
Students are given formative feedback on assignments and forward feed points to develop their work.
Students will develop research skills to enable them to search for literature, resources and information efficiently. They will learn to use NVivo qualitative software in order be able to analyse an interview with a practitioner who works with vulnerable families for assignment 1
Students will undertake reading in preparation for lectures and seminars and assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- lead support and work collaboratively with others and demonstrate an understanding of working effectively in teams with parents carers and other professionals 11
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Key journals: Journal of Psychologists and Counsellors in Schools, Death Studies, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, Bereavement Care, Child Abuse and Neglect, Child and Family Social Work.
Recommended Books and articles: Andriessen, K., Mowll, J., Lobb, E., Draper, B., Dudley, M. & Mitchell, P.B. 2018. “Don’t bother about me.” The grief and mental health of bereaved adolescents. Death studies. 42 (10). pp. 607-615. Engel, R.C., Gallagher, L.B. & Lyle, D.S. 2010. Military deployments and children's academic achievement: Evidence from Department of Defense Education Activity Schools. Economics of Education Review. 29 (1). pp. 73-82. Griese, B. 2018. Pathfinders: Promoting healthy adjustment in bereaved children and families. Death studies. 42 (3). pp. 134-143. Jagger, J.C. & Lederer, S. 2014. Impact of Geographic Mobility on Military Childrenʼs Access to Special Education Services. Children & Schools. 36 (1). pp. 15-22. Kamp, A. & McSharry, M. 2018. Re/Assembling the Pregnant and Parenting Teenager : narratives from the field(s). Oxford, England : Peter Lang: . Lester, P. & Flake, E. 2013. How Wartime Military Service Affects Children and Families. Future of Children. 23 (2). pp. 121-141. Manby, M., Jones, A.D., Foca, L.,Bieganski, Starke,S. 2015. Children of prisoners: exploring the impact of families' reappraisal of the role and status of the imprisoned parent on children's coping strategies. European Journal of Social Work. 18 (2). pp. 228-245 Masterson, M.P., Hurley, K.E., Zaider, T., Corner, G., Schuler, T. & Kissane, D.W. 2015. Psychosocial Health Outcomes for Family Caregivers Following the First Year of Bereavement. Death studies. 39 (10). pp. 573-578. Morris, S.E., Dole, O.R., Joselow, M., Duncan, J., Renaud, K. & Branowicki, P. 2017. The Development of a Hospital-Wide Bereavement Program: Ensuring Bereavement Care for All Families of Pediatric Patients. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 31 (1). pp. 88-95.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 3 (BA/API)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 3 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/PIC)