Substance Abuse in Families
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anne-Marie Smith
NOTE For 2020-21 this module will be delivered in a 6 week block.
Estimates suggest that more than 30% of children and young people live in a family affected by substance misuse or abuse. As a result, most people who work with children and young people are likely to have to deal with this issue at some time. This module aims to prepare students to work with and for children and young people who are experiencing difficulties related to drug use. Whether the issue is the health of a binge-drinking mother, caring for a heroin-dependent father or navigating the social pressures to use substances themselves, this module considers the impact on the child. The opinions and experiences of children and young people are explored and the module will allow students to understand how addiction happens and how it can shape a child's development and experience. We'll consider how legal and illegal drugs are presented to children in the media and through society, looking at popular music and children's television. The module will also look at the stigma surrounding substance abuse within the family and give students an opportunity to reflect on and develop their own position concerning this which will give a solid foundation for their approach to working with families in the future.
This module will primarily analyse the psycho-sociological aspects of substance dependence in the family context to provide a thorough examination of:
- Why people abuse substances
- Pregnancy & smoking, drinking and drug use
- What happens to children when parents take drugs
- Drinking and the care system
- Young carers and substance dependent parents
- Living with addicted siblings
- Children who abuse substances
- Drugs, the law and society
- Drugs and fame.
A satisfactory understanding of current theories of addiction, including an ability to critically discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with substance abuse; a basic awareness of the legal and social consequences of substance abuse and of the professionals and strategies used to help children living with substance abuse.
A good understanding of current theories of addiction, including an ability to critically discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with substance abuse; a sound awareness of the legal and social consequences of substance abuse and of the professionals and strategies used to help children living woth substance abuse.
A comprehensive understanding of current theories of addiction, including an ability to critically discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with substance abuse; a thorough awareness of the legal and social consequences of substance abuse and of the professionals and strategies used to help children living with substance abuse.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of current theories concerning addiction to a variety of substances and how these apply to children and young people.
Critically understand the impact of parental addiction and substance misuse on the physical and emotional health of children and their relationship with their parents.
Understand the research based, likely, long term outcomes for children of addicted parents and critically evaluate the provisions made to help children and young people whose parents misuse substances.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of the wider implications of substance misuse for children and people, including social attitudes, legal aspects, family dynamics and peer influences.
Identify the agencies and professionals that can work with and help identify the needs of children who are themselves or whose parents are misusing substances.
Reflect critically on their own learning experiences and their relationship to their own ideas and opinions about children and substance misuse.
|INDIVIDUAL BLOG||Blog and response discussion||
Write a blog about children, young people and substance abuse. Respond to and discuss posts made by fellow members of the course.
|ADDRODDIAD||Expert witness report on case study||
Based on the evidence file, write a report giving your expert opinion on the best solution for the children involved in a child care proceeding.
|CHWARAE RHAN||Court Scene: Expert Witness||
Take part in a Court Scene role play. You will be an expert witness on the case for which you have written a report.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
6 @ 2 hours/week combination of online and on-campus sessions.strong text
167 hours to be used in reading, completing activities in preparation for lectures and writing assignments.
|Practical classes and workshops||
A series of activities (e.g. discussion groups, set readings, quizzes, etc) will be set each week online.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- critically explore examine and evaluate the significance of the cultural historical and contemporary features of various policies institutions and agencies in regard to babies young children and childhood
- lead support and work collaboratively with others and demonstrate an understanding of working effectively in teams with parents carers and other professionals 11
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 3 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/PHSP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 3 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 3 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 3 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/PIC)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 3 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 3 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C810: MSci Psychology with International Experience year 3 (MSCI/PIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PS)