Essential Skills for Arts& Hum
Rhedir gan College of Arts, Humanities and Business
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
Ensuring your professional, academic and personal success at university can be challenging. In this module you will prepare to meet that challenge by engaging in a series of mini-academic challenges, each one helping you to develop skills that are critical to success. You will work with fellow students to integrate digital media tools, along with traditional methods, for critical thinking, creative problem investigation, collaboration, and creativity. You will learn effective strategies for responding to lecture content, participating in seminar discussions and working in peer groups. These skills will be applicable across the arts and humanities. While you develop these skills and understanding, you will also learn the ways that the university community supports your efforts through the variety of services available to students, including the library, careers service, study centre and student union.
- Academic study skills including organisation and time management; locating and assessing sources of information; critical reading and notetaking strategies.
- Digital literacy skills including how to find, assess, and make use of information in a networked environment; identifying and using digital tools and methods to collaborate in discussion and problem solving; engaging with and participate actively in the academic community.
- Writing and presentation skills including academic writing styles; academic referencing; digital media creation; creativity and copyright knowledge; structuring an argument
D- to D+
- Has developed a basic level of factual and conceptual understanding of the subject; Reading/research is limited to that gained through class contact;
- There is some evidence of analysis and evaluation but work is mainly descriptive with an uncritical acceptance of information, and unsubstantiated opinions may be evident; Lack of logical development of an argument;
- Structure is weak and/or inconsistent and lacking in sequential development; Mistakes in grammar or syntax; Immature style; Citations and bibliography poorly or inconsistently presented; Demonstrates few qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s), but with evident weaknesses;
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet most obligations to others (e; g; tutors and peers);
- Able to recognise own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others, but lacking insight in some areas;
A- to A*
- Has developed a broad factual and conceptual understanding of the subject relative to the level through extensive reading;
- Has analysed and evaluated information using defined techniques & principles; Can collate and categorise ideas and information and can select what is relevant to support analysis and evaluation and develop a coherent argument, appropriate to the level of development; Has developed an early critical approach to information;
- Well-organised presentation which develops flow and progression in a well-structured argument; Syntax/grammar indicates an appropriate level of maturity; Demonstrates a broad range of qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate very effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work very effectively with others as a member of a group, showing leadership skills where appropriate, and meet all obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to show insight and autonomy in evaluating own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills
C- to B+
- Has developed a sound understanding of the subject appropriate to this level; There is evidence of wider reading which goes beyond that gained from tutor contact;
- Intelligent attempt at analysing and evaluating information; Well argued with appropriate amount of evidence, substantiated opinions are given;
- Structure is coherent and logical showing progression to the argument; There are few mistakes in presentation or citation; Demonstrates qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to evaluate own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others;
Able to communicate effectively in academic discussions, presentations and in writing in an online environment
Organise work and manage time to meet deadlines and collaborate effectively
Employ effective critical reading, note taking and revision strategies
Find, evaluate and use digital information sources
Understand the requirements of academic discourse, including writing styles, referencing and reliable evidence
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly one-hour session in which students reflect on and apply the tools and methodologies introduced in the workshop.
Weekly 2-hour sessions introducing methods used in arts and humanities for study, research and presentation of work in various forms. Includes specialist sessions from staff across the University (Library, careers office, study skills centre, student union, etc).
Weekly 1-hour session in which students present results of challenges in a student-led session. As well as presenting their own work, students take roles of organiser, presenter or reviewer and must provide constructive peer-feedback.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students on this module.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/kah-0001.html
Moore, S. (2010). The Ultimate Study Skills Handbook. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill International (UK).
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/ELLITF)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/FGS4#F)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/HF)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MSF)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MUSF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/POLF)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SF)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- L30P: BA Sociology with Placement Year year 0 (BA/SOP)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BMUS/MUSF)