Behaviour and Health
Rhedir gan School of Health Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Catrin Hedd Jones
This module aims to provide the student with appropriate knowledge and understanding of how health behaviour can influence the outcome of an individual’s health and well-being (including adversely). Students will explore how health-related behavioural changes can have a positive effect on an individual’s well-being through adopting a healthy lifestyle in conjunction with health promotion strategies such as diet and exercise.
The module will address the ways in which health-related behavioural changes can have a positive effect on an individual’s well-being through adopting a healthy lifestyle in conjunction with health promotion strategies such as diet and exercise. The module will provide an introduction to psychological theories and perspectives on health beliefs, behaviours and behaviour change. The will also explore global, UK and healthcare policies adopted by the Welsh Government, and will link to National Policy and Planning Mechanisms focussing on Community based prevention and early intervention, physical activity and health.
A- to A+ Grade: To achieve an ‘excellent pass’ on the module, students will be required to demonstrate comprehensive understanding and application of evidence-based practice relevant to behaviour and health. This will need to be supported by a comprehensive range of appropriate literature.
B- to B+ Grade: To achieve this grade the student will need to demonstrate an understanding and application of the underlying principles of behaviour and health and the application of these principles supported by a broad range relevant literature
C- i C+
C- to C+ Grade: To achieve a ‘good pass’ on the module, students will be required to demonstrate good understanding of behaviour and health supported by a range of literature.
D- to D+ Threshold: To achieve a ‘pass’ on the module, students will be required to achieve a minimum of D- grade which requires them to demonstrate understanding of Behaviour and Health supported by relevant literature.
Utilise health promotion theories and evidence.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the impact of individual and combined behaviours in relation to health and wellbeing.
Explain how individual and combined behaviours can have a positive effect on health and wellbeing.
Demonstrate how health promotion strategies can influence lifestyle changes
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Behaviour, Health and Well-being workbook||
Students will complete a reflective workbook detailing their understanding of how health behaviours can influence a person’s health and wellbeing
|TRAETHAWD||Health Behaviours and well-being essay||
Students are required to select a current health promotion intervention and, with reference to relevant behavioural theory and evidence, discuss its potential effectiveness in driving positive changes to health behaviour/s.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
16 hours ( 2 hour 2 per week over 8 weeks)- students will present the work from the EBL group project. In light of COVID-19 guidance all delivery will be online using a combination of synchronous and asynchronous provision
Assessment workshop - 2 hours (1 x 2 hour workshop) Study skills workshop - 3 hours (1 x 3 hour workshop) Presentation skills - 2 hours (1 x 2 hour workshop for presentation skills) Assignment supervision 1 x 1 hour assignment workshop. In light of COVID-19 guidance all delivery will be online using a combination of synchronous and asynchronous provision
Private study for reading, researching and assessment completion.
EBL project - 20 hours over 10 weeks to complete an enquiry based learning project. This will support students in developing their ideas and the skills needed to complete the summative assessment.
Lecture - 24 hour - ( 3 hours per week over 8 weeks)
In light of COVID-19 guidance all delivery will be online using a combination of synchronous and asynchronous provision
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
Understand the skills needed for promoting and protecting the population’s health and well-being.
Promote people’s equality, diversity and rights through participative engagement with individuals, groups and populations.
Develop strategic qualities to improve health and well-being.
Develop skills in working with, and for, communities to improve health and well-being.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
1. Purchase of text books, pens and paper. 2. Photocopying and printing 3. Subscription to internet provider to access BU on-line catalogues and Blackboard from home residence.
Gross, R.D., Kinnison, N. & Woolf, E. (2014) Psychology for nurses and allied health professionals: applying theory to practice. London: Routledge. [electronic resource]
Ogden, J. (2012). Health Psychology: A Textbook 5th Edn. London: Open University Press.
Naidoo, J. & Wills, J. (2015) Health studies: an introduction. 3rd edition Basingstoke: Palgrave. WA 31 H4365 2015
Upton, D. & Thirlaway, K. (2009) The Psychology of Lifestyle: Promoting Healthy Behaviour. Hoboken, New Jersey: Taylor & Francis. [electronic resource]