Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Gregory Frame
Media Studies examines how humans create systems of meaning in order to communicate, to persuade, to empathise, to oppose. In this module you will discover the ways that people and organisations employ digital tools to encode (and decode) signs, meanings and information in order to communicate. You will learn the concepts that underlie our understanding of communication in practice, and you will develop hands-on experience using online tools to collect, manage, analyse and re-present information.
The module introduces basic media and communication theory, including models of communication; signs and meanings, information, data, and pattern; systems of meaning. The concepts are introduced within the context of digital media and the role that technology plays in creation and sharing of meaning. Students actively engage with online information technologies for the collection, management, analysis and dissemination of information, and reflect critically on the impact of the technologies on the message. Students will finish the module with knowledge and understanding of media and communication terms and concepts, experience of applying those concepts to current issues in the media, and practical knowledge of digital tools for use in future study and inquiry.
B- to B+
- Has developed a sound understanding of the subject appropriate to this level; There is evidence of wider reading which goes beyond that gained from tutor contact;
- Intelligent attempt at analysing and evaluating information; Well argued with appropriate amount of evidence, substantiated opinions are given;
- Structure is coherent and logical showing progression to the argument; There are few mistakes in presentation or citation; Demonstrates qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to evaluate own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others;
C- i C+
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
Good structure and logically developed arguments. At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning. Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
A- to A*
- Has developed a broad factual and conceptual understanding of the subject relative to the level through extensive reading;
- Has analysed and evaluated information using defined techniques & principles; Can collate and categorise ideas and information and can select what is relevant to support analysis and evaluation and develop a coherent argument, appropriate to the level of development; Has developed an early critical approach to information;
- Well-organised presentation which develops flow and progression in a well-structured argument; Syntax/grammar indicates an appropriate level of maturity; Demonstrates a broad range of qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate very effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work very effectively with others as a member of a group, showing leadership skills where appropriate, and meet all obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to show insight and autonomy in evaluating own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills
D- to D+
- Has developed a basic level of factual and conceptual understanding of the subject; Reading/research is limited to that gained through class contact;
- There is some evidence of analysis and evaluation but work is mainly descriptive with an uncritical acceptance of information, and unsubstantiated opinions may be evident; Lack of logical development of an argument;
- Structure is weak and/or inconsistent and lacking in sequential development; Mistakes in grammar or syntax; Immature style; Citations and bibliography poorly or inconsistently presented; Demonstrates few qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can communicate in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s), but with evident weaknesses;
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet most obligations to others (e; g; tutors and peers);
- Able to recognise own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others, but lacking insight in some areas;
Practical knowledge of the potential of digital tools for information collection, analysis and re-production
Understanding of how the media through their forms, codes, conventions and techniques communicate meanings
Understanding of the digital media processes of production, distribution and circulation impact on communication of meaning
Awareness of ways the media portray events, issues, individuals and social groups
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Poster presentation||
Participate in a poster presentation session by displaying a multimedia or poster on a media topic on the ways the media portray events, issues, individuals and/or social groups
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Web portfolio||
Portfolio of media responses
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly 2-hour workshop with online tools and methods
Weekly 1-hour lecture
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for this module.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-0001.html
- Fiske, J. (2010). Introduction to communication studies. Florence: Taylor and Francis.
- Laughey, D. (2010). Media Studies: Theories and Approaches. Kamera Books.
- Ross, M., Grauer, M., & Freisleben, B. (Eds.). (2015). Digital Tools in Media Studies. Bielefeld: transcript.
- Sardar, Z. (2015). Introducition to Media Studies: A Graphic Guide. Icon Books Ltd.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/ELLITF)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MSF)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/FGS4#F)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/HF)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MUSF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/POLF)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SF)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BMUS/MUSF)