Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Enlli Thomas
One of the most miraculous achievements of a young child is their ability to learn language. Before they are able to complete relatively simple tasks such as standing on one leg, button up their coat or catch a ball, they are able to formulate highly complex sentences to express almost anything they wish to communicate. But more miraculously than that is the fact that the majority of children – all over the world – not only succeed at mastering language, but succeed at mastering two or more languages to various degrees, and are able to take advantage of all the benefits that come from knowing multiple languages, and do so with relative ease.
This module will introduce you to the world of bi/multilinguals, and explore the various pathways to acquiring language among bi/ multilinguals. We will be looking at the factors that influence complete mastery of language, whilst highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of knowing more than one language. During the module we will explore the main methods and ways of studying language development and explore how best to measure bi/multilinguals' language abilities.
In order to fulfill the aims of the module,students will learn about the following:
Issues relating to various definitions within the field
Theories of language acquisition and L2 learning
Psychological and linguistic characteristics of bi/multilinguals
Advantages and disadvantages of bi/multilingualism
Factors influencing individuals' language attainment
Assessing language abilities among young bi/multilinguals
Social use of language among adults and children: problems and possible solutions
Broad knowledge and good understanding of academic research within the field discussing the nature, characteristics and psychological, social and educational needs of bi/multilinguals. Ability to identify and discuss relevant evidence to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of knowing more than one language. Demonstrate good knowledge of the factors influencing patterns of language use. Ability to highlight the relationship between language theories, the characteristics of the individual and his/her environment, and language use, language skills and language assessment meaningfully.
Satisfactory knowledge and understanding of academic research within the field that discuss the nature, characteristics and psychological, social and educational needs of bi/multilinguals. Ability to identify the evidence that suggests advantages and disadvantages to knowing more than one language. Ability ot show understanding of the factors influencing patterns of language use. Ability to note the relationship between language theories, the characteristics of the speakers and his/her environment, and language use, language skills and methods of assessing language.
Ability to identify, and discuss a number of ideologies within the field effectively and purposely when discussing the nature, characteristics, and the psychological, social and educations needs of bi/multilinguals. Ability to identify and discuss critically the evidence available discussing the advantage and disadvantages of knowing more than one language. Able to discuss the evidence that highlight the factors that influence on patterns of language use meaningfully. Ability to discuss the relationship between language theories, the characteristics and the individual and his/her environment, and language use, language skills and methods of assessment meaningfully.
Ability to identify the factors that influence linguistic attainment of individuals and consider critically when and how to define linguistic fluency and competence in bi/multilinguals.
Ability to identify and evaluate critically the evidence suggesting advantages and disadvantages of knowing more than one language.
Ability to identify and critically analyse the factors that influence patterns of language use.
Ability to identify and evaluate different methods of bilingual teaching that are in existence across the world.
Ability to critically analyse the research evidence within the field of bi/multilingualism.
Ability to demonstrate sound understanding of the nature, characteristics and psychological, sociological and educational needs of bi/multilinguals
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly lecture - 2 hours
Independent work: information sourcing; reading; assignment preparation
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Bring laptops to sessions
Background reading: It is expected that students search for research articles themselves during sessions, and various arthcles will be districited as approrpaite throuought the course. Background reading:
Thomas, E. M. & Webb-Davies, P. (2017). Agweddau ar Ddwyieithrwydd. Caerfyrddin: Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol. Available on: https://llyfrgell.porth.ac.uk/View.aspx?id=3001~4e~cunoKUqT (Welsh languge version only)
Altarriba, J. & Heredia, R. R. (2018). An Introduction to Bilingualism: Principles and Processes. London: Routledge. Baker, C. R. & Wright, W. E. (2017). Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism (6ed Argraffiad). Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
De Houwer, A. (2009). Bilingual First-Language Acquisition. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. Hoffman, C. (1991). Introduction to Bilingualism. Longman.
Myers-Scotton, C. (2006). Multiple voices: An Introduction to Bilingualism. Oxford: Blackwell. Romaine, S. (1995). Bilingualism (2il Argraffiad). Oxford: Blackwell.
Thomas, E. M. & Mennen, I. (2014) (Gol.). Advances in the Study of Bilingualism. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
Thomas, E. M., Apolloni, D., & Parry, N. M. (2018). Dulliau Addysgu Dwyieithog. Bangor: Prifysgol Bangor. Wei, L. (2000). The Bilingualism Reader. Llundain: Routledge. Wei, L., & M. G. Moyer (2008). The Blackwell Guide to Research Methods in Bilingualism and Multilingualism. Oxford: Blackwell. .
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 3 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/APIPC)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)