Children w. Com. Difficulties
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Marguerite Hoerger
This module will research into the effect of the different kinds of communication difficulties on children and young people. It will discuss the implications of language delay, language disorder, and different social communication disorders on the social interaction and behavioural/emotional development of children and young people in the context of the child’s home environment, school, and community. By using current research, theories and group discussion, the effect which children’s and young people’s social and communication difficulties have on their emotional and social development will be analysed. The module will also weigh up the effectiveness of intervention strategies.
This module will concentrate on the development of students’ critical understanding of social and communication difficulties, and analyse the effect of such conditions on the social interaction skills and emotional and social development of children and young people by giving attention to the following:
- What is communication and typical social and communication development?
- Different kinds of social and communication difficulties.
- Skill deficits in individuals with social and communication disorders.
- Intervention programmes and strategies to support children and young people with social and communication disorders.
- The impact of social and communication disorders on families.
D- to D+ Students should be able to present a satisfactory discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their basic understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
C- to C+ Students should be able to present a good discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
A- to A* Students should be able to present an outstanding in-depth discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their deep understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of social and communication difficulties and their implications on children and young people and their families.
Appraise critically the research concerning interventions for social and communication disorders..
Demonstrate critical understanding of the effect of social and communication difficulties on the social and emotional behaviour of children and young people, and the implications of this on their development within the family and society.
Evaluate the methods of recognising, responding to and supporting the needs of children and young people with social and communication difficulties.
Analyse, discuss and critically reflect on their personal learning experiences and relating these to their own opinions and ideas on children and young people with social and communication difficulties and their effects on their emotional and social development.
|Written assignment, including essay||Short Essay on the Etiology and Diagnosis of a Child with Language and Communication Difficulties||
This assignment asks you to write a concise description of a social communication disorder. You will be able to choose which social communication disorder you want to describe. The purpose of the assignment is to describe the main characteristics of the disorder, how it presents itself, how it affects children and their families, its causes and risk factors, and how a diagnosis is made.
|Written assignment, including essay||Critical analysis of an intervention for children with social and communication difficulties||
This assignment asks you to describe one intervention for the disorder that you chose in assignment 1. You will be required to describe a particular skill deficit associated with the disorder and to identify and describe an intervention that targets that particular skill deficit. You will then be asked to review the evidence base for the intervention and to conclude by justifying whether you would recommend the intervention for children with your chosen disorder.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Reading time, preparing and completing assignments
Eleven at 2-hours each. Class time will consist of a combination of lectures, group discussions and exercises
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-3038.html
Frith (2008). Autism: A very short introduction. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press
Hollander, Kolevzon, & Coyle (2011). Textbook of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
Schwartz (2011). Handbook of child language disorders. Hoboken, NJ: Taylor and Francis
Volkmar & Wiesner (2009). A practical guide to autism: what every parent, family member, and teacher needs to know. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 3 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 3 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 3 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/PIC)