Contemporary Theatre Practice
Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mrs Ffion Evans
Contemporary Theatre Practice is a module that explores theatre making at an advanced level. Through performance, direction and dramaturgy, students will be encouraged to establish companies and produce their own work to explore artistic policy on the 21st Century Stage that welcomes the experimental. Understanding of research and development exploration and production values will be shared and practiced and through discussion and practical application, the module will investigate creative strategies, methods and theoretical issues arising from creating contemporary theatre.
The module considers performer/audience relationships on the 21st Century stage, scenography, and technology in performance as well as dramaturgical decisions in staging and performance training.
- Explore advance theatre making methods to create original creative work
- Introduce theoretical and practical research in Contemporary Theatre Practice
- Develop research and development material as well as a short company production to evaluate practice.
- The module runs every 2 years with students from the second and third year of undergraduate study working together
Very Good/Good (B- to B+)
• Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Background study • Focussed and well structured written or performance response • Logically presented and defended most arguments • Some to No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance • Some Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • Strong group skills • Very good presentation with accurate communication
Threshold (D- to D+)
• Knowledge of key areas/principles only • Weaknesses in understanding of main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Performance or written response only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Several factual/computational errors/unconvincing performance • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Weak group skills • Many weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
C- i C+
Good/Satisfactory (C- to C+)
• Knowledge of key areas/principles • Understands main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Written or performance response focussed on assignment but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Has several factual/computational errors/mostly unconvincing performance • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving/satisfactory team work • Some weaknesses in presentation/performance and accuracy
Excellent (A- to A+)
• Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed and well structured written or performance response • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors/committed and convincing performance • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • Strong group skills • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Has undertaken independent research-based investigation to inform written and practical work.(2)
Participated in an extended period of practice-based exploration to assist in the generation of an original performance.(3)
Been able to identify and discuss the theoretical and practical strategies that are currently in evidence within contemporary theatre practice. (4)
Been an active and creative participant in the process of play or project devising appropriate for a contemporary theatre practice context.(1)
Understood the appropriate skills, working methods and approaches required when conducting performance work. (5)
In groups, this will be an opportunity to share practical research and development ideas with the rest of the class. What ideas are developing for your specific production? Which has been performed in the studio theatre in Pontio in past years.
|ARDDANGOSIAD/YMARFER||Short Group Production||
As a performance company, you will be developing a production where you can perform, write, direct, compose, stage manage, design..any components within the group to be performed at Studio Theatre Pontio end of term.
|TRAETHAWD||Contemporary Theatre Analysis||
After developing practical research, this will be an opportunity to put research practice into theoretical context. Developing the theories identified during assessment 1, bringing these forward now to explore further as a conclusion to the module's study and future performance work.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Rehearsal time and planning in groups for production work
|Supervised time in studio/workshop||
Opportunity to gain feedback on developing work in progress.
Opportunity to visit live performances as well as online digital material of production work to support ideas.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Specifically designed workshops to support contemporary theatre study
Research focused study to support theoretical knowledge and understanding.
Independent study to read and analyse research material, develop creative ideas and prepare for assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be informed before hand.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-2400.html
Reading list will be presented before the module begins.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/ELTP)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 2 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BA/MSTP1)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 2 (BA/MUSTP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)