Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Thandi Gilder
This module will provide an overview of psychological theories and research in the field of Social Psychology. Students will be introduced to the topics of social perception, interpersonal relationships, prosocial behaviour, social influence, and group processes. The aim of this course is to give the student an opportunity to investigate human behaviour in a social and cultural context.
Fulfilment of this module is part of the criteria for BPS accreditation.
Topics covered in this module include: • Social Perception (Cognition, Attribution, Attitudes, Impression Formation); • Social Contact (Attraction, Attractiveness, Relationships); • Social Groups (Intragroup, Leadership, Intergroup, Prejudice, Decision Making, Constructionism); • Social Influence (Types of Influence, Compliance, Obedience, Conformity); • Social Support (Prosocial/Helping/Altruism)
• Some basic consideration of the applications of social psychology theory in the real world. • Adequate knowledge of some of the key concepts in social psychology only. • Weaknesses in understanding theoretical issues with multiple/major factual errors. • Limited evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of theory and research. • Arguments are presented briefly, but they are weak with no synthesis or original interpretation • Answer only briefly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Weak presentation with disjointed structure and major APA format errors.
• Depth of insight into the applications of social psychology theory in the real world. • Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of social psychology. • Excellent understanding and original interpretation of theoretical issues with no factual errors. • Clear evidence of critical analysis and insightful evaluation of theory and research. • Logically presented and defended arguments presented with coherent synthesis and original interpretation • Answer focussed on question, with no irrelevant material and clear structure • Well-structured presentation showing focus and clarity of argument and expression.
C- i C+
• Some consideration of the applications of social psychology theory in the real world. • Knowledge of most of the key concepts in social psychology. • Some understanding of theoretical issues with some factual errors. • Some evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of theory and research. • Some arguments presented, but little synthesis and original interpretation • Answer focussed on question, but with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Some weaknesses in presentation with areas of disjointed structure and some APA format errors.
• Some insight into the applications of social psychology theory in the real world. • Strong knowledge of key concepts in social psychology. • Solid understanding of theoretical issues mostly free of factual errors. • Evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of theory and research. • Coherent arguments presented, with some limited synthesis and original interpretation • Answer focussed on question, but with very little irrelevant material and clear structure • Well-structured presentation showing focus of argument and expression.
Evaluate the nature of initial attraction and the dynamics of subsequent relationships (Social Contact)
Describe the dynamics of behaviour within and between groups of individuals to understand social constructionism (Social Groups)
Analyse the influence of others on thoughts, feelings, and behaviour (Social Influence)
Consider the causes and explanations for helping and altruistic behaviour (Social Support)
Debate and discuss the applications of social psychology theory in a real world context.
Demonstrate an understanding of the thought processes, knowledge, and beliefs that are used to understand the behaviour of others (Social Perception)
|Find, Share, Create||50.00|
|Final Take Home Exam||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Three hour lecture per week (11wks)
Each student should expect to complete 100 hours of work for this module across the semester (including scheduled classes, independent research, and completing assignments).
One hour seminar per week (10wks)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-2010.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 2 (BSC/BICPS)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 2 (BSC/PBM)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 2 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C681: BSc Sport & Exercise Psychology w International Experience year 2 (BSC/SEPIE)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 2 (BSC/SEXP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q318: BA Eng Lang for Speech & Language Therapy (Subj to Validn) year 2 (BA/ELSLT)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 2 (BSC/MP)