Intro' to Media Practice
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Huw Powell
The aim of this course is to provide students with an introduction to media practice. Students will be given basic tuition in the use of video and audio production equipment. Working in small groups, students will be expected to produce two pieces of creative work; one video, one audio. Students will then be expected to reflect critically upon the production process, and the final pieces of work, making reference to a body of theory. This module provides tuition and practical experience in two aspects of media production: single camera production with editing, and radio production. Students will participate in group set exercises before creating their own original programme, as well as writing a critical analysis of each work.
This course will introduce students to the basic skills and techniques which will enable them to explore the principles of media production through creative work. Students will work in groups to produce two short media texts, using broadcast standard equipment. Students will also be taught how to analyse their own work within the context of theory, and to establish a relationship between media production theory and practice.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Demonstrate an understanding of the processes by which media texts are produced.
Demonstrate basic technical skill in one aspect of a group media production.
Critically examine the process of media production in relation to media production theory.
Demonstrate the ability to work as part of a production team.
|Video Production Log||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Workshop, 3 hours per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q5P5: BA Cymraeg gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 1 (BA/CN)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 1 (BA/HN)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 1 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 1 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 1 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 1 (BA/JMSP)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 1 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/MSF)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 1 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 1 (BA/MSG)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSIE)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/MSIT)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 1 (BA/MSP)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MSSPIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 1 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 1 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 1 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 1 (BA/CTC)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 1 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 1 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 1 (BA/FLMP)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 1 (BA/MCWIE)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 1 (BA/MEN)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 1 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BA/MSTP1)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 1 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 1 (BA/PWM)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 1 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 1 (LLB/LCMWI)