Dr Zhen Jing
- Dr Zhen Jing
- Professor of Law
- 01248 38 3695
- Athrolys, College Road
Zhen Jing is Professor of Commercial Law at Bangor Law School. She is a graduate of the Central University of Finance and Economics of China, Beijing (BA); University of Wales, Swansea (MPhil); and Queen Mary, University of London (PhD).
Having previously been an Associate Professor in the Law School at Ocean University of China, and a Lecturer in the Faculty of Law at Holborn College in London, Zhen joined Bangor Law School as a Law Lecturer in October 2007 and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2014 and to Professor in 2017.
Zhen teaches both undergraduate and postgraduate modules. She has been doing research in Insurance Law, Maritime Law and International Trade Law for years, and has published extensively in internationally significant refereed journals, such as Company Lawyer, Connecticut Insurance Law Journal, Insurance Law Journal, International Company and Commercial Law Review, Journal of Business Law, Journal of British Insurance Law Association, Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, Journal of International Maritime Law and other journals.
Zhen is the author of the book: Chinese Insurance Contracts: Law and Practice, published by Informa Law from Routledge on 15 December 2016. This book is the first systematic text written in English on Chinese Insurance Law. It offers a critical analysis of the major principles, doctrines and concepts of insurance contract law in China. With a comparative analysis of relevant rules from another 16 jurisdictions such as Australia, Germany, UK, the USA, it provides a broad perspective on Chinese Insurance Law, facilitating a better understanding and evaluation of the complex principles of the Insurance Law.
Zhen has served several administrative roles at Bangor Law School for years, such as the Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes, Postgraduate Examination Officer, Postgraduate Admission Officer, and Chair of Unfair Practice Committee. She is currently serving as the Director of Postgraduate Teaching and Learning, the Senior Tutor for postgraduate students, and the Director of the LLM programme in International Commercial and Business Law at Bangor Law School.
Zhen has taught a variety of undergraduate modules:
- Contract Law
- Tort Law
- English Legal System
- Commercial Law
- International Trade Law
Zhen is teaching three LLM modules:
- International Sales Law,
- Insurance Law,
- Carriage of Goods by Sea.
Zhen also contributes to the teaching of LLM module of Legal Research Methods and LLB module of Contemporary Chinese Studies.
Zhen’s main research interests are in the areas of Commercial Law and Maritime Law, with particular interests in:
- Insurance Law and Marine Insurance
- International Trade Law
- Carriage of Goods by Sea
- International Sales Law
- Comparative Law
- Jing Z, Chinese Insurance Contracts: Law and Practice, (First edition, Informa Law from Routledge, 15 Dec 2016), 840 pages. ISBN:9780415743280 (hardback), ISBN:9781315813783 (e-book). The book contains 24 chapters. See the publisher’s website for the description of the book (https://www.routledge.com/Chinese-Insurance-Contracts-Law-and-Practice/Jing/p/book/9780415743280).
- Jing Z., Tort Law Statutes, 2010/2011, Longman Pearson, ISBN: 978 1 84959 6367.
Articles in Peer-reviewed Journals
- Jing Z, “Misleading Conduct by Insurers in Sales of Insurance Policies in China” (2017) Company Lawyer, 38(1), 28-36.
- Jing Z, “Remedies for Breach of the Pre-contract Duty of Disclosure in Chinese Insurance Law” (2017) Connecticut Insurance Law Journal, 23(2), (forthcoming, 18 pages).
- Zhu L., Pan X.H. and Jing Z., “Marine Insurance Warranty: Comparing Common and Civil Law Approaches and their Reference Value for the Reform of Chinese law” (2017) Journal of Business Law (forthcoming, 30 pages)
- Jing Z and M. Zhong, “Incontestability Provisions in Insurance Law and Policies” (2016) Journal of Business Law, 252-287.
- Jing Z and Jiang T.Y, “The Latest Development of the Insurance Law in Life Insurance in China: The Third Judicial Interpretation on the Insurance Law by the Supreme People’s Court of China” (2016) Journal of British Insurance Law Association, No. 129, 76-105.
- Jing Z. “The Insurer’s Primary Obligation to Pay Valid Claims in a Timely Manner” (2015) Journal of Business Law, 37-67.
- Jing Z, and L. Zhu, “Restrictions on the Insurer’s Defence of Non-disclosure or Misrepresentation in Chinese Insurance Law” (2015) Insurance Law Journal, 26(2), 145-167.
- Jing Z, and M. Zhong, “Limitations on the Scope of the Insured’s Duty of Disclosure in Chinese Law: A Comparative Analysis with English, Australian and German laws” (2015) International Company and Commercial Law Review, 224-235.
- Jing Z., “Electronic transaction of insurance business – ‘Self-service insurance card’ in China” (2014) Journal of British Insurance Law Association, No.127, 164-184.
- Jing Z, “Warranties and doctrine of alteration of risk during the insurance period: A critical evaluation of the Law Commissions’ proposal for reform of the law of warranties” (2014) Insurance Law Journal, 25(2), 183-209.
- Jing Z, “Insurable Interest in Life Insurance: a Chinese Perspective” (2014) Journal of Business Law, 337-359.
- Jing Z, “The Insured’s Duties under Subrogation: A Comparative Analysis of Chinese, English and Australian Law” (2013) Insurance Law Journal, 25(1), 70-89.
- Jing Z, “Restriction on the Insurer’s Rights of Subrogation in Chinese Law” (2013) Journal of British Insurance Law Association, No. 126, 107-129.
- Jing Z, “The Insured’s Post-contract Duty of Notification of Increase of Risk: A Comparative Perspective” (2013) Journal of Business Law, 842-867.
- Jing Z, “Beneficiaries in Life Insurance in Chinese Law and Practice” (2013) Journal of Business Law, 463-485.
- Jing Z, “Insurer beware! - Circumstances in which the insurer may lose his subrogation right in marine insurance” (2011) Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, 43(1), 129-153.
- Jing Z, “Subrogation in Marine Insurance Laws and Practice in China,” (2009) Journal of International Maritime Law, 15(5), 423-437.
- Jing Z, “A potential trap for the insureds: The application of the ‘basis of the contract’ clauses in China’s insurance market” (2008) Insurance Law Journal, 19(2), 160-180.
- Jing Z, “The test of insurable interest: legal interest or economic interest?” (2008) Journal of Social Sciences (Ocean University of China), 88(1), 64-67.
- Jing Z. “Insured’s duty of disclosure and test of materiality in marine and non-marine insurance law in China” (2006) Journal of Business Law, 681-704.
- Jing Z, “The Confusion between subrogation and assignment in the Insurance Law of the People’s Republic of China 1995 – A critical analysis on article 44 of the Insurance Law” (2002) Journal of Business Law, 608-626.
- Jing Z, “The application of the principle of proximate cause in insurance law (2002) Law Review (Ocean University of China), 399-410.
- Jing Z., “Insurance Law Reform in the United Kingdom”. Zhen was invited to give a presentation as a distinguished speaker at the International Conference of the 5th Annual World Congress of Ocean & Investment and Trade Fair, and chaired the session on Marine Insurance (held in China, 4-6 Nov 2016).
- Jing Z., “Regulation on Corporate Governance and Risk Management of Insurance Companies in China”. Zhen was invited to give a presentation at the 34th Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime in the sessions: “Re-enforcing governance within business and in developing effective risk management systems” (held in Cambridge University between 4th and 11th September 2016).
- Jing Z., “Fraudulent Claims for Insurance Moneys”. Zhen was invited to give a presentation at the 34th Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime in the sessions: “Insurance frauds and crime in China” (held in Cambridge University between 4th and 11th September 2016).
- Jing Z., “Reform on Utmost Good Faith in Marine Insurance Law - A Case Study on Chinese Law”, Zhen was invited to give a presentation as a distinguished speaker at the International Conference of the 4th Annual World Congress of Ocean & Investment and Trade Fair, and chaired the session on Marine Insurance (in Qingdao, China, on 6-8 Nov 2015).
- Jing Z., “Utmost good Faith in Marine insurance – Chinese and English Perspective”. Zhen was invited to give a presentation in the Sino-German International Maritime Law Conference (in Qingdao on 25-27 Oct 2014).
- Jing Z., “Warranties in Marine Insurance – A comparative study between English, Chinese and American laws”. Zhen was invited as a distinguished speaker to give a presentation at the International Conference of the 3rd Annual World Congress of Ocean & Investment and Trade Fair (in Dalian, China on 15-17 Oct 2014).
- Jing Z, “Utmost good faith in English Insurance Law”, Zhen was invited to give a presentation in the Intermediate People’s Court of Qingdao (28 April 2014).
- Jing Z, “Warranty and Alteration of Risk during Insurance Period – A Critical Evaluation on Law Commissions’ Proposals for reform of Warranties”. A presentation in International Conference, China – Europe Law Forum, Bangor University, (11 Oct 2013).
- Jing Z, “The Insured’s Post-contract Duty of Notification of Increase of Risk: A Comparative Perspective”. A presentation in International Conference, Chinese-English Insurance Law Conference, London and Southampton, (23-24 April 2013).
- Jing, Z “A Potential Trap for the Insureds: the application of the “Basis of the Contract” Clauses in China’s Insurance Market”. A presentation at Welsh Law Schools’ Conference (2008).
Zhen has been invited to give lectures and seminars in Insurance Law, International Trade Law and Contract Law to undergraduates and postgraduates in a number of universities in China. These universities include:
- Dalian Ocean University (2016)
- China University of Petroleum (2015, 2016)
- Dalian Maritime University (Oct 2014)
- Shandong University (2013)
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (2013)
- Zhejiang Agriculture and Forestry University (2013)
- University of Inner Mongolia (2012)
- University of Inner Mongolia Finance and Economics (2012)
- Qingdao Technological University (2012 to 2016)
- Qingdao University (2012)
- Ocean University of China (2011, 2012, and 2013)
- Central University of Finance and Economics of China (2011, 2012 and 2014)
- Beijing Normal University (2008)
Supervision of PhD students
Zhen has supervised and is supervising many PhD students in the area of Marine Insurance, Insurance Law, International Sales Law, and Maritime Law. She welcomes applications from candidates who wish to study for MPhil and PhD in these research areas. Below is a list of PhD students under her supervision:
Dr Uzoamaka Anagbogu, “Utmost Good Faith and Warranties in Nigerian Insurance Law”, completed in March 2013.
Dr Binh Minh Nguyen, “The Undermining of Indemnity Principle: A Plea for Return to Basic and Rediscovery of Full Indemnity- A Case Study of Vietnam”, completed in November 2013.
Dr Mehedi Rahim, “Consideration of Islamic insurance, takaful for development, by re-examining and analysing existent takaful models vis-à-vis relevant English marine insurance law”, completed in Jan 2015.
Dr Kadam Brejat, “A Critical Analysis of Iraqi Consumer Protection Law in Electronic Marketplaces with Special Reference to the EU Approach”, completed in Sept 2015.
Mr Akbar Badiei, Topic: “Delivery and its effects in international sale of goods in Iranian Law: A comparative study with the CISG and English counterparts”.
Mr Mohammed Abdulkareem, Topic: “Insurance of nuclear installations: Towards a legal framework”.
Miss Tianyi Jiang, Topic: “Developing a transfer of rights regime in Chinese Maritime Law”.
Miss Adekemi Adebowale, Toipic: “Utmost Good Faith in Insurance Law in Nigeria”.
Miss Victoria Someye, Topic: “The Principle of Indemnity in Insurance Law”.
Mr Stephen Jeff-Zanni, Topic: “Warranty in Marine Insurance Law”.