Analog Circuit Design & Comms
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Cristiano Palego
This module aims to provide an introduction to analogue and radiofrequency (RF) eletronics circuits and techniques to improve performance in amplifiers, filters, converters and power supplies.
Indicative content includes:
- Foundations of network analysis: impedance/admittance matrices, scattering parameters. Common Pi and T- networks
- Diode and bipolar transistor models and equivalent circuits
- Bipolar transistor amplifier circuits: Common emitter, Common Base, Common Collector
- Multi-stage amplifiers: Cascode amplifier, Class B driver, Operational amplifier
- Introduction to instrumentation circuits and components: Amplifier characteristics, negative feedback. Operational amplifier circuits
- Introduction to signal conditioning: resonators, Filters properties, Passive filter design, and Active filter design
- Instrumentation circuit design issues: CAD software, Thermal management, Power supply considerations
- Transmission lines, Impedance Matching, RF Oscillators, Voltage Controlled Oscillators, Phase-Lock Loop (PLL)
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Design bipolar transistor amplifier circuits accounting for physical and environmental parameters.
Employ analogue circuits for signal conditioning, amplification and signal filtering.
Combine techniques, circuits and theory to develop more complex RF modules.
|Continuous Assessment 1||10|
|Continuous Assessment 2||10|
|Continuous Assessment 3||10|
|Closed Book Exam||40|
|Circuit Design and Communications||30|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
2 hour weekly, week 3-12
2 hour lectures, weekly over 12 weeks
3 hour lectures lab exercises reinforcing the taught materials, week 3-12
Tutor-directed private study including revision and preparation.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 2 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 2 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 2 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 2 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/EE)