Advanced French 1
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Armelle Blin-Rolland
The aim of this module is to enable students who have completed A level (or equivalent) in French to build on and further develop their writing skills.
Students who take this module will work towards achieving level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Classes are divided between introducing and practising grammatical structures and work based on a range of sources. This is done through:
- Developing an understanding of the key grammatical structures and the ability to apply these in grammar exercises, translations and essays.
- Developping translation and reading skills through studying texts that vary in style and register.
- Developing translation skills, both into and from French, and producing pieces of writing, such as short essays, in French.
- Developping and expanding vocabulary.
We use the following as a course book throughout the year:
Simone Renaud and Dominique van Hooff. En Bonne Forme (8th edition) (New York: John Wiley and Sons, 2008)
We also recommend the students purchase the following:
- A large bilingual dictionary, such as the latest edition of the Collins-Robert or the Oxford-Hachette.
- A large monolingual dictionary, such as the latest edition of Le Petit Robert.
- A detailed French grammar reference book to complement the course book. We recommend the latest edition of Hawkins and Towell’s French Grammar and Usage or Glanville Price’s A Comprehensive French Grammar. Although it is somewhat briefer than the two previous books, we also suggest that Ferrat’s A French Reference Grammar is suitable for first year purposes.”
40-49%: Limited knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to communicate in writing.
50-69%: Good knowledge of grammar and vocabulary that allows a good level of effective communication in written French.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. A firm grasp of the language in terms of technique and style that allows clear and precise communication in written French.
Develop translation and reading comprehension skills through the study of texts that vary in style and register.
Use new vocabulary effectively and confidently in written work.
Demonstrate an understanding of key grammatical structures; use more complex grammatical constructions in set grammar exercises and essay writing.
Write accurate and idiomatic French.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Translation into French||16.66|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Translation into English/Welsh||16.66|
|ARHOLIAD||2 hours written exam||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
In each semester, there are two one hour grammar / writing skills classes per week for 11 weeks
Practice of language skills using a range of materials, including Blackboard, vocabulary building, grammar revision. Completion of coursework assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 1. The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- 2. The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- 3. Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- 7. The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
All students should have their own copy of the following text book: Simone Renaud & Dominique van Hooff. En Bonne Forme (8fed argraffiad) (Efrog Newydd: John Wiley & Sons, 2008)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzf-1001.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
- LXF-2104: French Cinema 1895-1950
- LZF-2040: French Language Skills
- LXF-2101: Paris
- LZF-2020: French Lang. Skills (3 Major)
- LXF-2105: Race and Immigration in France
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 1 (BA/BSFR)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 1 (BA/BUSSF)
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 1 (BA/CHFG)
- T112: BA Chinese & French with Italian year 1 (BA/CHFI)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 1 (BA/CHFR)
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHFS)
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 1 (BA/CHGF)
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 1 (BA/CHIF)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/CHSF)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 1 (BA/ELFR)
- R101: BA French year 1 (BA/F4)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 1 (BA/FBS)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 1 (BA/FEL)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4)
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4#)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4)
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 1 (BA/FGS4#)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 1 (BA/FI)
- R1R3: BA French with Italian year 1 (BA/FI4)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 1 (BA/FIG4)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4#)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 1 (BA/FPSY)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 1 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 1 (BA/FRB)
- T108: BA French with Chinese year 1 (BA/FRCH)
- MR91: BA French/Criminology&Crim'l Just year 1 (BA/FRCR)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/FRCW)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 1 (BA/FREC)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 1 (BA/FRJO)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 1 (BA/FRMKT)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- R1R2: BA French with German year 1 (BA/FRWGER)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 1 (BA/FSFR4)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSPIE)
- RR12: BA German/French year 1 (BA/G4F)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 1 (BA/GERWFR)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 1 (BA/GIF4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/GSF4)
- RV11: BA History/French year 1 (BA/HFR)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 1 (BA/LFR)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 1 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTFR#)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 1 (BA/MSFR)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- VVR1: BA Philosophy and Religion and French year 1 (BA/PRF)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- QR51: BA Cymraeg/French year 1 (BA/WFR)
- M1R1: LLB Law with French year 1 (LLB/LF)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LFE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)