Dr Dyfrig Jones
Senior Lecturer in Film
Dyfrig Jones began lecturing at Bangor in September 2008. Before joining the university he worked as a television producer-director, specialising in factual programming. He was also the editor of the current affairs magazine Barn between 2006 and 2008.
Between 2009 and 2013 Dyfrig was a member of the S4C Authority, which is the body responsible for providing the Welsh-language television service. During 2010 he chaired S4C's New Media Forum, and in 2012-2013 he was a director of S4C Commercial. In 2015 Dyfrig was appointed the National Library of Wales' Board of Trustees. And between 2008 and 2017 he was a member of Gwynedd Council, serving as Chair of the Corporate Scrutiny Committee between 2014 and 2016.
Dyfrig is also a director of Tabernacl (Bethesda) Cyf., the non-profit company that owns and operates the Neuadd Ogwen arts centre and Fic community pub, both in Bethesda.
- Hiliaeth a ChymreictodJones, D 2018, 'Hiliaeth a Chymreictod', O'r Pedwar Gwynt, no. 8, pp. 29-33.
- Normative research and the politics of supportJones, D 2018, 'Normative research and the politics of support: The case of Paul Larzarsfeld and television research ' Paper presented at, Prague, Czech Republic, 24/05/18 - 28/05/18, .
- VeillanceJones, D, Veillance: Mutual Watching, 2017, Digital or Visual Products, Vimeo.
- Empathic MediaJones, D, Empathic Media: Emotiveillance in Retail and Marketing, 2017, Digital or Visual Products, Vimeo.
- Sousveillance UtahJones, D, Sousveillance Utah, 2017, Digital or Visual Products, Vimeo.
- Islamic Aliens: Marvel's Heroes Post-9/11Jones, DW 2014, Islamic Aliens: Marvel's Heroes Post-9/11. in JJ Darowski (ed.), The Ages of the Avengers: Essays on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes in Changing Times. 2014 edn, McFarland.
- Beyond Tears: The post-post-9/11 world of Marvel Comics.Jones, DW & Jones, D 2010, 'Beyond Tears: The post-post-9/11 world of Marvel Comics.' Paper presented at Contemporary Comics symposium, University of Copenhagen, 3/01/01, .
- A land fit for heroes: Superheroic Utopias and Dystopias.Jones, DW & Jones, D 2010, 'A land fit for heroes: Superheroic Utopias and Dystopias.' Paper presented at Journal of Comics and Graphic Novels Conference, Manchester Metropolitan University, 3/01/01, .
- Rubbing the Magic Amulet: Britain, Britishness and Captain Britain 1975-1977.Jones, DW & Jones, D 2009, 'Rubbing the Magic Amulet: Britain, Britishness and Captain Britain 1975-1977.' Paper presented at Understanding Superheroes: An interdisciplinary symposium on superheroes, comics and culture, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA., 3/01/01, .
- Holocaust Memorial Day 2019
Organised the annual service of remembrance for Holocaust Memorial Day featuring contributions from students, staff, schools, and local dignitaries.
28 Jan 2019
Activity: Types of Public engagement and outreach - Schools engagement (Organiser)
- Joint Journalism and Media History Conference
Wedi rhoi papur yn dwyn y teitl: Media Reform at the Ford Foundation
10 Mar 2018
Activity: Participation in conference (Speaker)
- Holocaust Memorial Day
I co-organised (with Dyfrig Jones) a short service to commemorate the Holocaust, featuring contributions from local schools, members of the community, the university, civic dignitaries, the local MP and AM, as part of the nationwide commemoration of the Holocaust.
26 Jan 2018
Activity: Types of Public engagement and outreach - Schools engagement (Contributor)
- Bloomsbury (Publisher)
Wedi adolygu cynnig am lyfr newydd
1 Dec 2017 – 1 Jan 2018
Activity: Publication peer-review (Editorial board member)
- IWA Media Policy Group response to the S4C Review
I was a member of a small working group that wrote the IWA's response to the UK government's independent review of S4C.
29 Sep 2017 – 13 Oct 2017
Activity: Types of External academic engagement - Contribution to the work of national or international committees and working groups (Contributor)
- The National Library of Wales (External organisation)
11 Nov 2016 →
Activity: Membership of board (Chair)
- Creu Arwyr: Hunaniaeth Cymru yn yr 21ain Ganrif - Grwpiau Lleiafrifoedd Diwylliannol