Dr Melissa Kagen
Lecturer in Digital Media
- The Wanderer in Early 20th Century German/Jewish Opera PhD (Stanford University)
- Jewish National Identity in 1840: Der ‘Fliegende Jude’ and the Promise of Redemption in Heine and Wagner MA (The University of Chicago)
- Asylum BA (Brown University)
I hold a PhD in German Studies from Stanford University, an MA in Humanities from the University of Chicago, and a BA in Literary Arts from Brown University. I work primarily on Walking Simulators, intersections between immersive performance and videogames, and creative mis-play. Currently I teach most of the game studies and game design minor in the School of Music & Media. I'm also working on a monograph, All the Ways in the World: Wandering in German/Jewish Opera.
I am willing to supervise a PhD
- Walking, Talking and Playing with Masculinities in FirewatchKagen, M 2018, 'Walking, Talking and Playing with Masculinities in Firewatch', Game Studies, vol. 18, no. 2.
- Archival AdventuringKagen, M 2018, 'Archival Adventuring' Paper presented at Digital Games Research Association conference, Turin, Italy, 25/07/18 - 28/07/18, .
- Glory to Trumpland! Misplay as Protest in Immigration GamesKagen, M 2018, 'Glory to Trumpland! Misplay as Protest in Immigration Games' Paper presented at 1968|2018 - Protest, Performance and the Public Sphere, Coventry, United Kingdom, 7/06/18 - 9/06/18, .
- Glory to Trumpistan! Procedural Ethics and Transformative Play in Papers, PleaseKagen, M 2018, 'Glory to Trumpistan! Procedural Ethics and Transformative Play in Papers, Please' Paper presented at Modern Language Association, New York City, United States, 4/01/18 - 7/01/18, .
- Zombie ParsifalKagen, M 2017, 'Zombie Parsifal: Undead Walkers and Post-Apocalyptic Stagings', The Opera Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 122-139. https://doi.org/10.1093/oq/kbx022
- Walking Simulators, #GamerGate, and the Gender of WanderingKagen, M 2017, Walking Simulators, #GamerGate, and the Gender of Wandering. in J Eburne & B Schreier (eds), Nerds, Wonks, and Neocons. The Year's Work, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, Indiana, pp. 249-274.
- Deferral, Digression, and The Eternal RoadKagen, M 2016, 'Deferral, Digression, and The Eternal Road' Paper presented at Association for Jewish Studies (AJS) conference, San Diego, United States, 16/12/16 - 18/12/16, .
- Script Analysis and Performance in the L2 ClassroomKagen, M 2016, 'Script Analysis and Performance in the L2 Classroom' Paper presented at American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Convention, Boston, United States, 18/11/16 - 20/11/16, .
- Video Games in the Second Language ClassroomKagen, M 2016, 'Video Games in the Second Language Classroom' Paper presented at American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Convention, Boston, United States, 18/11/16 - 20/11/16, .
- The Wanderer as SoldierKagen, M 2016, 'The Wanderer as Soldier: Robert Walser's Der Spaziergang, Switzerland in World War I, and Digression as Occupation', German Quarterly, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 36–50. https://doi.org/10.1111/gequ.10254