Advances in Behaviour
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Richard Holland
Animal behaviour is a subject that challenges those who study it. Rarely does research on animal behaviour result is established facts or clear unequivocal answers. Often two researchers will interpret the data in a different way. New data continuously challenges our perceptions of how and why animals behave the way they do. The study of animal behaviour at its frontier thus requires an ability to think critically about theories, hypotheses and data and make judgements on them based on the weight of evidence. This module thus aims to test the ability of students to think critically, develop ideas independently, record and analyse data and communicate what they have learnt by creating a research project to investigate an unanswered question in animal behaviour. Students should finish the module with an in-depth understanding of advanced topics in animal behaviour and an ability to demonstrate critical thinking and independent learning.
In the first half of the module, we will explore some current topics in animal behaviour which may include animal learning and cognition, animal movement, animal personality, and collective behaviour. These topics have been selected because they are “open ended”: research is ongoing and there are still questions to be resolved. There will be a practical session on analysis of movement data using state of the art tracking methods, including analysis of elephant ranging behaviour. This will allow you to understand how to analyse data using a modern method that has seen significant advances in our understanding of animal behaviour. In the second half of the module students will research a topic in animal behaviour to develop a research project proposal. There will be workshops on how to develop ideas alongside the lectures, discussion sessions and a conference at which the student will present a poster on their project to obtain feedback for the final research project proposal assignment.
Awareness of the fundamentals underlying the science, based on lecture material and practical sessions, but with limited or absent analytical ability. Some evidence of lifelong learning skills but with organisational or group-working problems.
A good grasp of the fundamentals and demonstration of critical thought with evidence of additional reading. An ability to present a coherent argument with clarity. A good appreciation of the main approaches employed in the study of animal behaviour and the ability to critically assess their suitability in a given situation. Good evidence of lifelong learning skills, demonstrating ability to work effectively with others and manage deadlines.
An excellent grasp of the fundamentals of the science and demonstration of the ability to analyse, critically assess, and present a coherent reasoned argument based on information from a variety of sources. Demonstration of original thinking and advanced problem solving when evaluating and implementing behavioural research methods. Additional evidence of lifelong learning skills such as ability to adapt to change and motivate others.
Engage with the essential facts, major concepts, principles and theories relating to animal behaviour. Demonstrate and apply this subject-specific knowledge and understanding.
Demonstrate the ability to read and use appropriate literature, with a full and critical understanding.
Demonstrate the skills necessary for self-managed and lifelong learning (undertaking directed reading, time management, working to a deadline)
Show an appreciation of the methods used in the study of animal behavior and apply scientific methodology to create a research project proposal.
Demonstrate presentation skills at a scientific conference.
|ARHOLIAD||Movement data practical||
Exam based on techniques and information presented in the movement lecture and practical
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Conference Individual Poster Presentation||
Poster presentation of research proposal. Will have a summative element, but also will give feedback for written research proposal
|TRAETHAWD||Research Project Proposal||
Research project proposal based on any area of animal behaviour
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Project poster presentation, to present the research project idea in a poster format, to gain experience of presenting data and to obtain feedback on the proposal for the final assesment.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Movement data practical, to allow students to experience hands on cutting edge data analysis techniques for studying animal movement (examples include Elephant ranging and migration in birds).
Outside of timetabled teaching hours on this module, you will be expected to spend time researching a chosen subject area to work up to a research project proposal which will include literature searching, researching study design from core texts and other studies, data input, presentation and analysis.
The lectures on this module are designed to give students background knowledge for their presentation and research project proposal, or to inspire students to explore the linkage of concepts between studies and disciplines.
3 workshops with activities to help develope ideas for a research proposal
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Nothing to pay
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 3 (MZOOL/AB)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 3 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C100: BSC Biology year 3 (BSC/B)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/BITE)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 3 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 4 (BSC/WLCP)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 3 (BSC/Z)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 3 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 3 (BSC/ZCC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 5 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZCP)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (BSC/ZH)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZIE)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 3 (BSC/ZP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (BSC/ZR)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 3 (MBIOL/BIO)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 3 (MZOOL/CONS)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 3 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 3 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 3 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 3 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 3 (MZOOL/ZR)