Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Lars Markesteijn
This module aims to familiarise students interested in forest ecosystems and forestry with the forest health problems that have caused and are likely to cause significant environmental, social and economic impact in the UK and globally, whether in commercial plantations or natural forest ecosystems. A series of online lectures and supporting field visits will give a general overview of the organisms causing problems, including viruses, bacteria, fungi, fungal like organisms, arthropods and mammals and parasitic plants. The module will follow a classical disease triangle approach whereby interacting factors of plant defence, organismal pathogenicity and environmental factors are considered. In case studies, historical and current problems will be examined and their causes for wide-scale spread and high levels of disease will be explored. The case studies will focus on a number of the newer exotic problems which have impacted on the UK's forests, we will examine the potential reasons for this and consider how these can be overcome and the longer-term outcomes. Distinctions and comparisons will be drawn between the pathogens and pests that have been in the UK forest ecosystems for millennia and newcomers. The in-depth focus of the module will concentrate on both fungal and insect issues and will examine future scenarios for forest health in line with climate change predictions. Some of the course content will focus on policy and social issues, as well as silvicultural practises.
- Forest Health – What is a healthy forest?
- Introduction to the problems in the forest: biotic, abiotic and interactions, particularly with climatic factors.
- The Disease Triangle – a useful concept when addressing forest health
- A systematic view of problems I: Pseudofungi - Phytophthora
- A systematic view of problems II: Real fungi - Ascomycota
- A systematic view of problems III: Real fungi – Basidiomycota
- Insects - The basics
- Insects on the move: Global trade and change
- Acute Oak Decline: a major threat to UK oak
- Policy and social aspects of forest health
- Monitoring forest health
- Immediate and future (known) threats
- Managing for resilience of future (unknown) threats
Grade D- to D+ Have a basic understanding of tree and forest health issues, show a basic knowledge of the conditions and organisms involved in different pest and disease severity
Grade C- to B+ As above but at a higher level of understanding and be able to demonstrate evidence of reading original papers rather than grey literature digests.
Grade A- and above As above but extensive level of knowledge and understanding and evidence of widespread use of both current and historical literature.
Critical understanding of the organisms likely to harm trees and their broader significance
Critical understanding of the reasons for spread of, and success of, organisms causing forest health issues
Critical understanding of environmental factors which determine the development of pests and diseases
Critical understanding of different management and control options for long term tree-crops and natural forest ecosystems
General understanding of the likely effects of climate change on forest health
|GWAITH CWRS||Individual seminar write up||
A 500-word limit summary of the seminar is required. The summary should include references but the reference list will not be included in the word count. The summary should be submitted via Turnitin NOT as a hardcopy.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Assessed individual seminar presentations||
Student-led individual presentations (strict: 15 minutes long + max. 5 min discussion) will organised using Blackboard Collaborate. Presentations will be assessed and feedback will be given. You are expected to use PowerPoint (or similar) for the presentations.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1*3 hour plenary session - workshop. You will use a specific forest health case that you have familiarised yourself with during the lectures and field visits, and will use the 'six thinking hats approach' to forest health problem solving.
Private and guided self-study.
14 * 1-hour lectures. Lectures will cover the content topics presented earlier and relate to all of the learning outcomes.
6 * 2-hour individual student-led seminars. Individual seminar presentations are assessed, and students are expected to be present at all the sessions (regardless of whether they are presenting in that session or not).
3 * 3-hour field visits.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-2017.html
In addition to the above students are led to a number of topic specific links via the Blackboard site and the lectures
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 2 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 2 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 2 (BSC/FOR)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 2 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 2 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 2 (MFOR/FORP)