Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
60 Credyd neu 30 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Graham Bird
The purpose of the module is to enable students to plan, implement and report, to a specialist readership, an original and independent piece of geographical research on a subject of their choosing. The piece of research allows the student to develop specialist knowledge within an aspect of geography for which they have a particular interest.
The content will vary from dissertation to dissertation.
Grades C- to C+: A dissertation that adds original information to an existing body of work. An introduction that outlines the research question and states the aim and objectives of the study (and if appropriate, the hypotheses to be tested). A literature review that covers the fundamental concepts of the chosen topic. A clear description of the methods used to collect and analyse data / information. Clearly presented results. A discussion that shows largely correct understanding of the results and puts them into some context using the literature. Satisfactory presentation: tables and figures correctly numbered and labelled; a complete set of references.
Grades B- to B+: A dissertation that deals with a topic on which relatively little work has been done. An introduction that shows some originality in the choice of topic, provides an good context and rationale for the study, clearly identifies the research question. The aim and objectives of the study (and if appropriate, the hypotheses to be tested in it) are clearly stated. A literature review showing good understanding and knowledge of the chosen topic and some evidence of criticality in the review. A clear description of the methods used to collect and analyse data / information. Clearly presented results. A discussion that shows correct understanding, a good synthesis of the data and some original thought regarding interpretation. The discussion makes some suggestions about the possible applications of the findings and further areas of research. A good overall standard of presentation: well written; tables and figures correctly numbered and labelled; a comprehensive set of references.
Grades A- and above: A dissertation that deals with a potentially difficult topic on which relatively little work has been done. An introduction that shows originality in the choice of topic, provides an excellent context and rationale for the study, clearly identifies the research question, states the objectives of the study (and if appropriate, the hypotheses to be tested in it). A literature review showing excellent and critical understanding and knowledge of the chosen topic. A clear description of the methods used to collect and analyse data / information. Clearly presented results. A discussion that shows understanding, an excellent synthesis of the data and much original thought regarding interpretation. The discussion makes imaginative suggestions about the possible applications of the findings and further areas of research. Excellent presentation: well written; tables and figures correctly numbered and labelled; a very comprehensive set of references.
Use of appropriate techniques to collect and analyse geographical data in a safe and ethical manner.
Demonstrate self-direction, motivation and originality in pursuing a line of research.
Synthesize and critically evaluate information from a variety of sources.
Demonstrate an ability to draw valid conclusions from systematically-collected data, even if these are incomplete.
Demonstrate clear and comprehensive communication of research findings to a specialist audience.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Supervision meetings, presentations & year group meetings
Reading, data collection, data analysis and production of assessed presentations and the final written submission.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Employ appropriate social-survey methods.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-4103.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F801: MGeog Geography year 4 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 5 (MGEOG/GIE)