Environmental data & analysis
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jennifer Shepperson
To develop in students an understanding of the fundamental skills required by natural scientists to measure, map and quantify the environment in which they work. This includes the key concepts of the scientific method, experimental design, mapping, basic mathematical manipulations, data visualisation, and statistical analysis and hypothesis testing. Students should become confident in the use of appropriate computer software (Excel, R and/or Matlab) to analyse environmental data.
This module provides students with the fundamental skills required by natural scientists to answer scientific questions with environmental data.
Theory is put into practice through computer sessions, to apply a range of data analysis techniques to environmental data. In the first semester students are introduced to the scientific method, how to describe samples numerically and graphically, and how to test hypotheses statistically to identify differences and relationships between variables.
In the second semester, as well as additional statistical theory and practical sessions, skills are applied in a subject specific project. In this project, students conduct a scientific investigation, including collecting and analysing data; the results of this data analysis are communicated in the style of a scientific report.
A threshold student should have a basic knowledge of the scientific method, have a basic ability to quantitatively manipulate datasets using a range of fundamental mathematical tools using appropriate computer software, and be able to use and interpret statistical tests.
A good student should competent at quantitatively manipulating datasets using a range of fundamental mathematical tools, have a good ability to interpret datasets and be able to confidently use and interpret statistical tests using appropriate computer software.
An excellent student should have a sophisticated knowledge of quantitatively manipulating datasets using a range of fundamental mathematical tools, have an advanced ability to interpret datasets and be highly skilled in the use and interpretation of statistical tests using appropriate computer software.
Identify and explain the most appropriate strategy for analysing data, including recognising the assumptions and limitations of each approach.
Produce simple maps to communicate scientific methods or findings.
Communicate the results of scientific investigations and data analysis in the style of a scientific report.
Manipulate, summarise, visualise, and analyse data using Excel and R computer software.
Numerically and graphically summarise data to communicate key scientific results.
Plan and conduct a simple scientific investigation with appropriate regard to design and analysis issues.
Explain hypothetico-deductive reasoning, and formulate testable hypotheses.
Apply inferential statistical tests to data to test a hypothesis, to investigate differences or relationships, interpreting the results in the context of the subject specific research question.
Report numerical values to an appropriate level of precision, and use appropriate units of measurement.
|ADDRODDIAD||Data collection and analysis scientific report||
Scientific report communicating the results of a subject specific project . All semester 2 activities are focused on developing the skills required to successfully complete this report.
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||T1 - Scientific method and describing samples midterm||
Short online Blackboard test to examine the understanding of the scientific method, distributions, ways to describe a single sample, and basic numerical concepts including units and significant figures
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||T2 - Data analysis and hypothesis testing||
Online Blackboard test to examine understanding of how to analyse data using Excel and R, including using hypothesis testing to identify significant differences or relationships between variables.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Directed learning materials, including video lectures and short tasks.
Online computer practical resources. One information pack per week, including computer practical handouts and tutorial videos
Online Q&A sessions, where further explanation and clarification are provided about the weeks lecture and practical material.
Independent study groups to facilitate peer learning.
Fieldwork activity to collect data to map and measure the environment, and collect scientific data
Approx. 5 hours per week each semester. Private self-study utilising directed reading materials and reinforcement of lecture, workshop, and project materials.
Timetabled support for the online computer practicals, with lecturer and demonstrators available to assist.
Supervised data collection, analysis and write-up of a subject specific project.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ons-1001.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 1 (BA/GEOG)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GEOGIE)
- C163: BSC Applied Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/AMB4)
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 1 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 1 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- CC13: BSC Marine Biology/Zoology year 1 (BSC/BMZ)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/BMZIE)
- CC1P: BSc Marine Biology with Zoology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/BMZP)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 1 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 1 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 1 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 1 (BSC/FOR)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEOF)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)
- C160: BSC Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/MB)
- C16F: BSc Marine Biology year 1 (BSC/MBF)
- C165: BSc Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/MBIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 1 (BSC/MBO)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MESP)
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MVZIE)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 1 (BSC/OGP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 1 (BSC/OS)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 1 (BSC/PGO)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 1 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 1 (BSC/WLCP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 1 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 1 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 1 (MFOR/FORP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 1 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 1 (MGEOG/GIE)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/GO)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 1 (MSCI/MB)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/MBO)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (MSCI/MBOP)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 1 (MSCI/MVZ)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/PO)