Professor James Intriligator
School of Psychology
Gwynedd LL57 2AS
Tel: +44 (0) 1248 383630
Fax: +44 (0) 1248 38 2599
Linked In Profile: http://tinyurl.com/JamesILinkedIn
1992-1997: Ph.D. Cognitive Neuroscience - Perception and Cognition, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
M.A., Perceptual and Cognitive Psychology Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1985-1990: B.A. Cum Laude. Honors in Psychology and Philosophy with Highest Distinction, University of California, San Diego, California
1987-1988: Visiting Student – Department of Philosophy, King’s College, University of London
Prof. James Intriligator is a member of the Perception, Action and Memory research group.
- Branding/Packaging: Neuroscientific measures of brands, packs, marketing.
- Consumer Perceptions and Experience: Design thinking in the consumer domain.
- Marketing: In-store marketing, digital-sign networks, multi-channel impact, strategy and design.
- Design thinking, creativity, and innovation.
- Sensory: attention, vision, audition, learning, neuropsychology, phenomenology, eye movements.
- Cognition: attention, decision-making, neuropsychology, learning, education.
- Emotion: implicit and explicit measures.
- Neuroimaging: electrophysiology, functional/magnetic imaging, transcranial magnetic stimulation.
- Education: inter-disciplinary and experiential learning paradigms.
- Business: Consumer psychology, marketing/branding, product/service strategies, innovation/entrepreneurship, methodologies (business creation/development & think-tanks).
- Philosophy: Theoretical and practical analyses flowing from a transversal analysis into the nature of science, religion, culture, and art.
Author of nearly fifty peer-reviewed papers appearing in top-level scientific journals and the author of dozens of scientific papers presented at international scientific conferences.
Please visit the publications page of Prof. James Intriligator to view all recent publications
Honours and Awards
2014 Named an HEA "National Teaching Fellow" (Highest teaching award in the UK). Read more here.
2014 Shortlisted for the "best innovation" at Bangor University's Impact Awards 2014 (for Attention Retraining Technologies)
2013 Following nominations by the department, university staff, and past/current students inducted into Bangor’s Academy of Teaching Fellows
2013 National Union of Students (NUS) university-wide teaching award nominee in two categories (Best Teacher and Best Postgraduate Teacher)
2012 NUS university-wide teaching award winner, named students’ “Equality and Liberation Champion”
2012 Short-listed for NUS university-wide teaching award in three categories (Best Teacher, Most Innovative, and Open Category)
2010 & 2011 Named “FLUX Champion,” representing Bangor University at national enterprise competition
2009-present Bangor University Academic Champion for Enterprise (ACE)
1994 Harvard University Bok Center Teaching Award recipient
1992 Fellow, McDonnell Summer Institute in Cognitive Neuroscience
1991-1994 National Science Foundation graduate fellowship
1990 William James Merit Fellowship, Harvard University
1990 Honors with Highest Distinction in Psychology, University of California, San Diego
- External Degree Programme Examiner: London Metropolitan University (Masters in Business and Masters in Consumer Psychology), Birmingham University (MA in Psychology).
- Referee: Leverhulme Trust, Vision Research, Spatial Vision, Perception, Psychological Science, National Science Foundation, Perception and Psychophysics, JEP: HPP, Neuroscience Methods, Psychonomic Bulletin, Brain Research, Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, Brain and Cognition
- Member: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Vision Sciences Society
- Commentator: “The Breakfast Show” on BBC TV, Financial Times, BBC World Service, BBC Radio Stoke, BBC Radio Manchester, BBC radio Merseyside, The Sunday Independent, TheTalentBlog, BBC show “Watchdog”, BBC Radio Oxford, Channel 4, Betty TV, BBC Consumer Website, ITV1.
- External Consultant/Expert: SBXL, Other Lines of Enquiry, Dipsticks Research, DraftFCB, Millward-Brown, and a range of other private market-research and marketing agencies.
- Course Director for masters programmes related to Consumer Psychology (link to: http://consumer-psychology.bangor.ac.uk)
- UG Teaching: Consumer and Applied Psychology (final year module)
- PG Teaching: Consumer Psychology Theory, Applied Consumer Psychology
- CoCurricular Programmes: Enterprise by Design, Social Enterprise Accelerator, Innovation Workshops, Entrepreneurship Programmes, Secondary School Outreach, North Wales Enterprise Hub
- Commercialisation-Related: Captured over £250k to develop commercial products and services.
- Research Council (AHRC, ESRC, etc): Captured over £180k in research and studentship funding.
- EU: Captured over £360k in research and studentship funding.
- Consultancy-Related: Captured over £350k in consultancy projects.
- Centres, Hubs, and Major Projects: Served as PI, co-PI, or lead-academic on projects totaling over £1m.
Co-creators of a School of Psychology spin-out company: Attention Retraining Technologies
Co-creator of Bangor’s Enterprise-by-Design (EbD) programme (link)
Link is: http://ebd-psychology.bangor.ac.uk
Co-creator of Bangor’s Social Enterprise Accelerator (SEA) programme (link)
Link is: http://sea-psychology.bangor.ac.uk
Director of Consumer Psychology programmes and activities (link)
Academic Film Series