Sonya joined BBS as a Lecturer in Marketing prior to which she was a postgraduate teaching and research assistant at the school. She obtained her PhD in Place Branding in 2011. Her PhD develops and empirically tests a theoretical model of strategic place brand management to explain the process of branding geographical entities (towns, cities, regions). Sonya’s current research explores place branding further looking in greater detail at the components of the strategic process.
- PGT dissertation co-ordinator,
- UG and PGT dissertation supervision,
- PhD supervision,
- Personal tutor.
Telephone: 01248 38 8077
Location: Room 1.14, Hen Goleg
- Profesiynol: Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHE)
- PhD: PhD ‘Strategic Place Brand Management’
- Arall: MBA General Management
- Arall: LLB (Hons) Law
UG and PG Teaching:
- E-Marketing (ASB 3114, ASB 4114, ABJ 4114)
- International Marketing (ASB 3439, ASB 4439, ABJ 4439)
- International Marketing Projects (ASB 4524, ABJ 4524, ASB 4525, ABJ 4525)
- Surbhi Jain (2014 - 2020) passed with minor corrections.
Sonya’s research interests are focused on place branding and in particular the process of strategic place brand management, considering place brand communications in the digital arena and looking at the development of brand architecture and the alignment of stakeholder objectives and negotiations by leadership. Her other interests lie in the categorisation of stakeholder roles and how they provide the brand experience considering public encounters.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2017), “Projected Destination Personalities of European Capital Cities”, The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2016), "Social Media in Place Branding: a review", The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- CELT Learning and Teaching conference (2016), Bangor University.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2013), "Brand Architecture in Place Branding", in: 3rd International Place Management and Branding Conference: Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, UK.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing: catching the technology wave, University of Southampton Management School, UK. Won best paper in track award for toruism.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2011), "A Practitioner Led Strategic Place Brand Management Model", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Fields Forever, University of Liverpool Management School, UK.
- Hanna, S. (2007), "Objectives and Processes in Place Branding", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Theory and Practice, Kingston Business School, UK.
- Rowley, J. and Jones, R. and Hanna, S. and Vassiliou, M. (2010), “Using Card-based Methods in Semi-Structured Interviews”, in: 9th European Conference on Research Methodologies for Business and Management Studies, IE Business School, Madrid.
’Rydwyf yn fodlon goruchwylio cwrs PhD
Board member of PLoCC (Places of Climate Change) research centre at the university.
Editorial board memember: Journal of Place Managment and Development
Contributing panel member: The Place Brand Observer
External examiner: University of Wolverhampton (2017 - 2021)
- Outstanding Reviewer for Journal of Place Management and Development (2017) Emerald Literati Awards.
- Centre for the Enhancement of Learning: CELT Associate Award (2016).
- Best Paper in Track Award - Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing: catching the technology wave, University of Southampton Management School, UK.
Ad-hoc reviewing, on for example, Journal of Marketing Theory, Journal of Marketing Management, Urban Studies, Cities and Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy.