Solo Performance Year 1
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Richard Craig
This module combines a programme of individual instrumental or vocal tuition with an introduction to a range of important issues which concern performers, including preparing and delivering a recital programme, effective practice techniques, working with other musicians, and different approaches to interpretation.
• A total of 12 hours of individual tuition from a designated teacher across the year. The exact frequency and duration of lessons are to be agreed between teacher and student, but they will normally take place between Week 2 and Week 12 of each semester.
• Regular performance workshops (2 hours each) in Semesters 1 and 2. Participation in the workshops is scheduled, and every musician can expect to perform at least twice in public. The schedule can be found on BlackBoard.
• Workshops are devoted to topics such as practice techniques, musicianship and injury prevention will also be scheduled, and this information can be found on BlackBoard.
Please note: Although this module runs officially in Semester 2, instrumental/vocal tuition and workshops run through the entire year.
For singers, and players of orchestral instruments, the School will arrange for a professional accompanist to be available, if required. (30 minutes rehearsal time will be allocated.) Friends and family of candidates are welcome to attend the final performance.
Students are also required to inform the Head of Performance at least three weeks in advance of the recital if any technical playback equipment is required. If the student has not observed this instruction and the appropriate equipment is not available at the allocated time of the recital, the student will be expected to perform without it (which will be reflected in the grade, as appropriate) or the recital will have to be re-scheduled and it will count as a late submission (i.e. be capped at 40% or at 0%).
The repertoire you wish to perform in the performance assessment should be submitted as a text document (outlining the title, composer and durations) on BlackBoard, and also as two copies of a full score (for examiner and accompanist) to be submitted to the Music Office in week 9 of Semester 2.
THIS MODULE IS NOT AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL OF MUSIC.
PRE-REQUISITES: minimum of ABRSM 7 or equivalent.
Performance that demonstrates only a limited level of preparation and grasp of technique and interpreted decisions.
Performance that demonstrates a solid technical preparation and some original interpretative ideas.
Performance that demonstrates an excellent technique, clear evidence of independent thought and compelling interpretation.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform secure a consistent sound on the chosen instrument or voice.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform a work without pauses or breaks.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform throughout the range of the instrument, in the major, harmonic and melodic minor modes.
|Interim performance test||30|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Fortnightly performance workshops (2 hours each) in Semesters 1 and 2.
|Practical classes and workshops||
A total of 12 hours of individual tuition from designated teacher(s) across the year. The exact frequency and duration of lessons are to be agreed between teacher(s), student, and the Head of Performance. They will normally take place between Week 2 and Week 12 of each semester.
Regular performing opportunities
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxp-1016.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 1 (BMUS/MUS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 1 (BA/ACC)
- QW5H: Cymraeg Creadigol gyda Cherddoriaeth Boblogaidd year 1 (BA/CCYCB)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 1 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 1 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 1 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 1 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 1 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 1 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 1 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 1 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 1 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 1 (BA/WMU)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)