Apps of CNC Machines
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
This module aims to give students an opportunity to apply the taught theory on Computer Aided Manufacture.
Indicative content includes:
CNC Machines and Nomenclature
- Definitions of numerical control and advantages over traditional methods & the role of the personnel required to operate the machines.
- Types of CNC Machine Tools- Mills and Machining centres, Lathes and Turning centres, Drilling Machines.
- Health and safety related to the safe use of CNC Tools.
- Machine parts and maintenance procedures.
CNC Program Planning and the mathematics involved
- Coordinate Geometry, algebra, trigonometric functions, tangents.
- Use of Preparatory codes; description and purpose, applications for milling and turning.
- Miscellaneous Codes; description and purpose, functions for milling and turning.
- Tool function, tool offsets, speeds and feeds.
- Writing CNC programs from given drawings
- Program verification; software simulation, dry run, single block run.
- Interfacing; post processing software, data setting, connecting cables.
- Machining; setup integrity, program integrity, diagnosis, tool setup, correct tool offsets, program changes on panel if required.
- Machine maintenance after use.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Explain and discuss CNC Machines and nomenclature
Execute programs on the CNC Machines to gain the desired result.
Develop CNC programs with considered planning using the correct mathematical approaches.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Individual product portfolio||
By record of an individual product portfolio, design and make using CNC machines a series of work pieces.
Exam exploring the details of the CNC environments - including practical aspect.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module will be delivered through a series of interactive lectures, seminars, workshops, web-based learning, problem solving exercises, individual and group activities and linked tutorials.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H301: BSc Appd Mechanical Engineering Systems (Deg Apprenticeship) year 3 (BSC/AMES)