Applications of Computer Numerical Control for Machines
Applications of Computer Numerical Control for Machines 2022-23
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 2
Indicative content includes:
CNC Machines and Nomenclature
- Definitions of numerical control and advantages over traditional methods & the role of the personnel required to operate the machines.
- Types of CNC Machine Tools- Mills and Machining centres, Lathes and Turning centres, Drilling Machines.
- Health and safety related to the safe use of CNC Tools.
- Machine parts and maintenance procedures.
CNC Program Planning and the mathematics involved
- Coordinate Geometry, algebra, trigonometric functions, tangents.
- Use of Preparatory codes; description and purpose, applications for milling and turning.
- Miscellaneous Codes; description and purpose, functions for milling and turning.
- Tool function, tool offsets, speeds and feeds.
- Writing CNC programs from given drawings
- Program verification; software simulation, dry run, single block run.
- Interfacing; post processing software, data setting, connecting cables.
- Machining; setup integrity, program integrity, diagnosis, tool setup, correct tool offsets, program changes on panel if required.
- Machine maintenance after use.
-threshold -Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Develop CNC programs with considered planning using the correct mathematical approaches.
- Execute programs on the CNC Machines to gain the desired result.
- Explain and discuss CNC Machines and nomenclature
Logbook Or Portfolio
Individual product portfolio By record of an individual product portfolio, design and make using CNC machines a series of work pieces
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
CNC Exam Exam exploring the details of the CNC environments - including practical aspect.